30 July 2009

Norman Island to Peter Island

The toaster curfew still exists so everyone is up by 9.30.  Mike discovers that the fishing line, which had been rolled up but left by the side of the boat, had become unravelled, rolled over the side and somehow got itself tangled around the propeller.  What a good start to the day.

Simon is volunteered to snorkel beneath the boat to see what has happened.  Hopefully it could have snagged on a rock, but no, it is definitely the propeller.  Mike hands him the knife and he hacks off as much as he can but there is some there.  Luckily this is the propeller that is being replaced today by a friend with scuba gear.  While Simon is working, Mike helpfully chucks the piece of tuna which had been on the hook over the side which attracts the attention of a barracuda.  He swims around Simon, eyeing him suspiciously, and Simon eyes him back, but is distracted by seeing a ray swimming along the sea bed in front of him.

We head over to Nanny Cay – today I am having my hair cut and coloured – hurray!  We arrive about 12.30 and I go below and put some makeup on.  When one is going to have to stare at oneself in a mirror for the best part of two hours, one needs a little help!

My appointment is at 1.00.  I walk in the door and Jonelle beams at me – unfortunately she likes my curls and thinks they make me look younger.  Yeah, right.  But she seems serious.  Strange.

Hair cut, roots gone and hair blow dried straight for a while, I head back to the boat.  Our friend has just finished fitting the propeller – no problems apparently, quite an event in itself!

John, Allison, Mike and myself do hopefully the last bit of provisioning then I go and pay for the dockage.  As usual, the girl on the desk is unable to work out that from 12.30 to 3.30 is three hours and not four.  I had this trouble last time.  Eventually she manages to charge me the right amount.

Allison and I wander around a couple of shops then go back to the boat.  We cook lunch (a very late lunch) en route to Peter Island.  We have the remainder of yesterday’s tuna, fried with onion and garlic, with chilli and mayonnaise in a sandwich.  Yum.

Just as we finish, the fishing line goes again.  This time Adam reels it in.  We see the fish leap on the surface of the water and it’s a big one.  Unfortunately when he lands it he is left with just the head.  What we saw leaping in the water was the barracuda that bit the fish off behind the head and is now digesting the rest of it.  Adam is beside himself.

We arrive in Deadman’s Bay, and anchor for the night.  Allison and I go to the beach and settle ourselves down in the chairs for a girly gossip.  It is beautiful.  There is a gentle breeze and the beach is completely deserted.

DSC02774Photo:  All I need now is a waiter with a cocktail

DSC02764 Photo:  A beach all to ourselves 

DSC02768 Photo:  Allison paddling as the sun goes down

We return to the boat for cocktails, then dinner.  We have ice cream for desert.  Strangely, the tub which promised ‘Premium Grade’ white chocolate chip ice cream, is chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate pieces.  Not a white chocolate chunk in sight.  The we read on the label that it is a product of St Thomas.  That explains it!  The list of ingredients, read out my Mike once we have eaten it, ensures that none of us will eat it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment