10 July 2009

Anegada to Great Harbour, JVD

We leave Anegada later than Mike wanted as I make pancakes for breakfast and can only do a couple at a time.  As everyone wants lots, this batch operation takes quite a while.  I end up having to clear up underway, and am in a strop by the end of it because Mike doesn’t give me enough warning of our impending departure!  He is in the dog house for some time over this as we have had this conversation before.

I sulk for a while on the bow, in the shade created by the main sail.  We also have the gennaker up and make good progress again and there is a lovely strong breeze to keep me cool.  But after about an hour, my bum is so numb that I have to go back and accept an apology from Mike just so that I can sit in the comfort of the cockpit.  He’s well trained – sometimes!

I put the pineapple relish on to cook, and get distracted by the sudden strong winds as we go between Great Camanoe and Guana Island on our way to Monkey Point – winds of 32 knots which arrive from nowhere after a near constant 15-20 knots all the way from Anegada.

There are no mooring balls available for us so we drop the anchor and Mike takes the everyone in the dinghy over towards the beach and the cave for snorkelling.  When they come back Mike cooks the pork in jerk barbecue and they all sample the delights of my coconut rice.  Once more, it is considered such a success that they are happy to eat it tomorrow with the marinated tiger shrimp dish that is on the menu.

By three o’clock we are on the way to JVD.  It is a gentle motor all the way, so gentle in fact that I go down to my cabin for a read, and inevitably, a little nap.

Arriving at Great Harbour, the anchoring is slightly problematic.  Mike is unable to anchor in his favourite spot and it takes three goes of putting the anchor down before it sets properly.  Somehow, I manage to stay in the twilight zone while all this is going on!

The guests go ashore to buy delicacies from Christine’s Bakery but return empty handed, much to their disappointment, and decide they will try again in the morning.  They are more successful with the white rice, which was in short supply in my cupboard.

In the evening they eat out at Corsairs, and enjoy their meal.  Mike and I watch another episode of Cold Feet.  It’s amazing how much I have forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment