27 July 2009

Anegada to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda

We aim to put the main sail up with two reefs in while still at anchor because it was 20-25 knots even in the anchorage.  John goes to the mast and releases the jammer on the topping lift instead of the main halyard and there is an almighty crash as the boom drops onto the bimini.  There is also an almighty expletive which erupts from me as I jump six inches into the air.  Luckily, as the boom does not sweep from side to side (very lucky in this wind) no damage is done.  He looks sheepish and apologetic and we let him off.

I watch Anegada gradually disappear surrounded by its beautiful turquoise waters and cannot believe that I will probably never see it again.

It takes an hour and three quarters to sail over to The Dogs, using the main and the genoa.  Our preferred stop for snorkelling is Great Dog but as we approach we can see that all the mooring balls are taken.  In fact, there seems to be less of them than there were the last time we were there.  Even more appear to have had their top lines sheered off and are probably lying in wait just below the surface ready to ensnare an unwary propeller.

We motor over to George Dog, anchor and have lunch.  Mike then sees that one of the boats moored at Great Dog is slipping away so we up anchor and motor over there for our snorkelling.  Mike goes snorkelling with Allison, John and Simon with strict instructions to come back and get me if it is really good.  Then I fall asleep.  Just as well he doesn’t come back.

We motor over to Spanish Town and anchor outside the marina.  Allison, John, Mike and I go ashore to get rid of the rubbish and do some more provisioning.  We meet Rick in Bucks and spot the Dutch family we saw in the laundrette, then stagger back to the dinghy with the bags.

The water maker has been going for hours by this time and at last there is enough for showers, followed by spaghetti bolognaise, some reading then bed.  Tomorrow it’s The Baths and Devils Bay.

And my hair is still curly!

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to take a moment to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. I have been following it almost daily since we signed on for the St. Maarten-St. Lucia leg. I know a lot of bloggers who sometimes get discouraged, wondering if anyone reads what they wrote. I do and I love it. Can't wait to meet you both in November, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about you both.
    Dionne Groth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we have never met I really love following your blog on a daily basis. You and Mike are living my dream. Hopefully you will be able to keep the blog regularly updated as you expand your travels. I am sure there are many other people, who you have never met, who enjoy their daily Jeannius fix.

    Fair sailing!

    Roy
    NJ USA

    ReplyDelete