23 July 2009

Jost Van Dyke to Marina Cay

We leave Great Harbour before 8am.  The idea is to get as much distance covered as possible before Rachel wakes up as she has convinced herself that today is the day that she will be sea sick.  This is because we are expecting the journey to be a little rough, going straight into the wind.  In reality, the sea is quite gentle even though the wind is straight on the nose.  Because of this, we motor all the way.  Rachel and Simon emerge from their cabin just as we arrive at our destination.

We anchor back at Monkey Point, Guana Island once more – Mike wants to go snorkelling and I mention that I might actually go as it will be the last time I get the opportunity before we leave the BVIs.  We have lunch and I prepare the chicken for tonight’s meal, then everyone except Rachel piles into the dinghy and Mike takes us over to the reef, tying the dinghy onto the line when we arrive.

I cannot believe I have never snorkelled at Monkey Point.  I am nervous after the last ear infection so I have put my super dooper new ear plugs – funny little bright pink bell-shaped things.  I also wear my swim vest to stop me drowning when I attempt to empty my mask of water (or trying to drown Mike as I cling on to him).

I am the first over the side of the dinghy, lowering myself gently into the water – no back flips for me!  The I am off.  Mike catches me easily as he is wearing fins.  The visibility is amazing.  I see loads of squid, sergeant majors, yellowtail snapper, yellowtail damselfish, many types of grouper and parrotfish and a couple of unidentified things with great big yellow bug eyes which stop and stare as we hang over them in the water.  Mike and I swim around together, holding hands – sweet!  There are many types of coral too, as well as sea urchins and beautiful purple sea fans.  Truly beautiful.  I just wish I had got an underwater camera to record it all.

I enjoy myself so much that I decide to swim back to the boat, not straight back you understand, but via the scenic route along the shore.  Somewhere behind me are Allison and Simon.  Mike, Adam and John go back to the boat in the dinghy.  I feel very brave all alone.

When I get back to the boat there are thousands of little fish under it, as well as a school of sergeant majors.  These little fellows hover right by you, parting as you move any body part towards you.  They do, however, seem to creep up behind you with open mouths, like little piranhas when you are not looking. 

After the snorkelling, Mike puts isopropyl alcohol in my ear in an attempt to dry it out properly and Allison and I have a BBC to celebrate our bravery in the sea.  We motor round to Marina Cay where we are to spend the night.  I am tired after all the swimming so I have a little nap then Mike, Adam, Allison, John and myself go ashore. 

IMGP1740 Photo:  John exploring the tiny shoreline

IMGP1738Photo:  Allison and Adam 

IMGP1736Photo:  Pussers – a lovely spot for a cocktail 

We walk along the beach and do a little exploring.  This doesn’t take long as the island is so tiny, and we end up at the beach by Pussers and have a cocktail.  By this time it’s getting dark so it’s back to the boat for showers and dinner.

DSC02494 Photo:  Enjoying a cocktail by the sea at Marina Cay

When I go to bed, I lie and wonder whether the germs are already at work in my ear!

1 comment: