26 July 2009

Leverick Bay to Anegada

Although I wake at 6.10 and summon Mike (bless him) for my two cups of tea early on, I don’t get up for breakfast until after 8.  Mike is ensconced in front of the computer watching the Hungarian Grand Prix and is joined by various members of the male crew at different points.  I eventually get up for good just after 10.

No decision has been made at this point about where we are going.  Most people are just content to lie around on the boat, but Mike wants to give them somewhere different to gaze at while they do this and he decides to sail to Anegada.  The main sail goes up immediately, the anchor comes up and we set sail.  This causes the younger members of the crew to scuttle out of their pits and have breakfast before the generator is turned off.

It is a great sail to Anegada.  We are on a beam reach all the way, reaching 8.8 knots with winds of 20-25 knots.  The sun is out all the way and the sea, as we approach the island is its usual mix of turquoise blue. 

IMGP1774Photo:  The beautiful waters around Anegada

My hair, which has been hatless all the way, now closely resembles a bird’s nest.  I can’t wait until Thursday – hair cut day!  It’s lunchtime when we arrive.  We eat SASs – self assembly sandwiches, and Rachel clears up afterwards.

Another lazy afternoon follows.  You are meant to be lazy on Anegada. 

IMGP1780 Photo:  Adam relaxing in the shade of a towel with his PSP

IMGP1798Photo:  Mike – maybe too relaxed after dark and stormies!

Late in the afternoon Allison, John, Adam, Mike and myself go ashore.  We look around the few shops ending up at Potters By The Sea and from there walk along the beach as far as Neptune’s Treasure.  This, embarrassingly, is the first time I have walked along here, and as this is my last trip to Anegada, I felt I had to do it.

IMGP1787 Photo:  Beachcombing with Allison

IMGP1786Photo:  Just our footprints on a deserted beach

IMGP1791Photo:  Rain clouds moving in as the sun sets 

IMGP1796Photo:  The sun sets behind storm clouds at the end of a sunny day on Anegada

Dinner is on board then an early night as I haven’t taken an afternoon nap.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, Anegada.
    Hope you enjoyed your last visit.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a hard life, how do you cope? ;-)

    ReplyDelete