07 May 2009

Peter Island to Sea Cows Bay – Again !!

We hang around in Peter Island having had a very good night’s sleep – for a change as we are going to watch the start of Arc Europe at midday from Nanny Cay.  In the meantime, Mike catches up with some computer work and I give myself a pedicure, after all, a galley slave needs to keep up her appearances.

We are in the channel when the hooter sounds.  Unfortunately with only 23 or so boats starting from the BVIs, the scramble to be first over the line is not as impressive as when 230-odd boats start from the Canaries.  Still, I am sure that whoever ended up being first off was very happy.

Once they have all headed off in the direction of Bermuda, we anchor in Sea Cows Bay again (groan) which is rockier and rollier than ever and head off in the dinghy for Nanny Cay, me for a long overdue appointment with my hairdresser and Mike to visit the Arc office.

I tell Janelle how I had loved St Croix and she amazes  me by telling me that it has the highest crime rate in all of the Virgin Islands, and not for petty crime, but murder and mass murder!  I am stunned.  Everyone we spoke to was so friendly.  Obviously the murderers were having a few days off when we were there.  I have to admit we saw a fair few coke heads and the like, but that was all.  I’m glad that I didn’t know about that before I went.

Hair restored to it’s former glory (having given Janelle a fit when she saw how I had been ‘cutting’ it myself) I wander around to find Mike.  He is in the bar having found two of the Arc staff to chat to.  We have a few more drinks with Finn and Olivier, who are off to New York for a couple of days rest (yeah, right lads!) before heading to Bermuda to meet the boats coming in from Florida and the BVIs.  They fill us in with stories of Arc exploits, conscious that we are going to be entrants come January, and they don’t want to put us off!!

By the time we leave, it is 6pm and much too late to think of moving the boat to a quieter anchorage for the night and we have to put up with the discomfort of Sea Cows Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment