19 May 2009

Little Harbour to White Bay, JVD

Today is the 25th wedding anniversary for our guests Gina and Mike.  They have planned this trip with amazing thought and care and do not want to spend the evening in a high price restaurant, but instead, somewhere romantic with a beautiful sunset and have chosen White Bay as the setting.

Upon waking, there is a thick blanket of cloud over Tortola.  Not a good beginning.  We suggest heading straight to White Bay and having breakfast there so off we go.

White Bay, when devoid of the usual cruise ship crowds, is stunningly beautiful and I just hope that the weather can do it’s thing today.

P1010421 Photo:  Jeannius at White Bay

Breakfast starts with Bucks Fizz and soft scrambled eggs and toast.

P1010375Photo:  Reid, Gina, Mike and Lauren enjoying Bucks Fizz on the bow 

The guests, Gina, Mike, Lauren and Reid go to the beach for the day, leaving Mike and I to do our respective chores.  I have more food prep and Mike has some rope splicing to do to make a new anchor bridle.

During the morning we see someone waving from the beach – Kim and Rick are there doing some filming with Michael Beans.  We go over in the dinghy to say hello but Michael is anxious to get off so we just spend a few minutes with them before they have to leave.

For some reason, there are flies everywhere.  They drive me absolutely crackers.  Mike eventually has to take the dinghy round to Great Harbour to find a shop to buy some spray.  Whether it’s due to the recent rain I don’t know.  I can’t remember it ever having been like this before.

The weather clears up during the day, thankfully and is beautiful for Gina and Mike’s big day.  The evening cannot produce a sunset in White Bay as the sun actually sets behind the mountain, but during the early evening, produces enough pale pinky/blue clouds to be a good photographic backdrop.

P1010467Photo:  Mike and Gina – 25 years on enjoying an ‘ahh’ moment 

P1010503Photo:  Mike, Gina, myself and Mike … and good champagne 

Dinner consists of Spicy Tiger Prawns with Fried Plantain and Mango Mayonnaise, followed by Jerk Pork Fillet with Pineapple Relish, and Roast Sweet Potatoes with Red Onions and Garlic.  Three bottles of Veuve Clicquot help dinner go down very nicely.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh. I am checking in to see how you and Mike are doing. Wishing I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jean & Mike! Checking in to see how the two of you are. Wishing I were there! What a lovely couple. I hope I look that good on my 25th wedding anniversary! We'll be going to Kim & Craig's for a holiday party on Sunday. Maybe we'll finally eat that brown stuff that is still in my fridge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoff (toptechsys@yahoo.com)May 4, 2010 at 12:38 PM

    Hi Mike, Jeann

    Hey Mike, I called for you to come out to have a go on my new bike (a 2-wheeler!) the other day (<---45years--->) but you'd relocated to Essex and now I see you've must have got a bit lost whilst sailing off the coast! Tahiti no less! You certainly know how to get lost in style hey Mike?

    Sounds like an amazing adventure you and Jean are having, are you keeping a video diary? Timothy Spall (the actor) has just done a round UK tour in a 50ft barge and has sold his home-spun videos to the BBC - so why not do it yourselves? Check out www.spallsatsea.com

    Just in case you havent already guessed, I'm your old (almost as old as you!) childhood mate Geoff Dunn - from the 'Eastcote-Rd days'. Ros, Mum & I went to visit your Mum & Dad yesterday and they're in really good form. I've borrowed a video of all those old movies (mostly of yourself and Alan of course) and I intend to copy it to DVD for your mum & dad. So I'm feeling all nostalgic for the good old days. Mind you, it looks as though you've got many very good new days yet to come - getting lost in very exotic places,
    "Bon Voyage" to you both!
    All the best,
    Geoff ;-)>

    ReplyDelete