29 May 2009

Friday in Cane Garden Bay

Today is like a millpond in Cane Garden Bay.  Not a ripple on the surface of the water.  And again, it is very hot.

Mike takes a trip into Road Town.  He needs to visit the Social Security office to pay our dues and get a couple of bits from one of the chandleries.  (When does a trip to Road Town not require the purchase of some miscellaneous, expensive, marine item?)

I spend most of the time on the computer.  When Mike returns he is very pleased with his travels.  While waiting for a taxi, he is spotted by our cheerful delivery guy from the local supermarket and is given a lift all the way there.  On the way back, he is given a lift to the top of the hill behind Cane Garden Bay, then, walking along the road, a friendly policeman from the local station gives him a lift the rest of the way back.  He is a chatty guy and advises Mike to lock his dinghy at all time as there were a few thefts during the recent music festival.  Mike is chuffed at saving $20 in taxi fares.

I try out my new steamer which I bought in St Thomas some months ago.  It works on my linen dress but makes no impression on the guest bedlinen which is what I bought it for.  Oh well, I tried.

Late afternoon, we spot Sophisticated Lady coming around the headland into the bay.  We have been alerted to their imminent arrival by the pictures shown on the webcam that Rick has installed on the bow of his boat.  Having been listening to the Sugarbabes on the music system, I am in dancing mode, and jiggle and wave at them all the way in.  I can hear Kim’s laughter across the water.

Mike goes across to Myetts for Happy Hour, with instructions to come back for me at 6pm and I shower and get ready in peace.  I also take the time to make a few calls via Skype, mainly to ascertain that Victoria managed to get home safely from her course in Kent.  She did but it took her 6.5 hours due to a bad accident scene on Britain’s most crowded car park – the M25.

Mike returns at the allotted time carrying a big box.  The contents are the result of Di Hartzman’s over-ordering of provisions.  Thanks, Di.  We unpack the box and head over to Myetts, leaving the empty cardboard box in the dinghy – don’t want to give any potential pesky cockroach eggs the opportunity to hatch on our boat!

Myetts is full, once again, of the usual suspects; Bill and Di Hartzman, Malcolm and Candace (great to see her back on the island), Rick and Kim, Glenn, and Will and his wife, boat owners with TMM. 

IMG_9672[1]Photo:  Candace and me – Happy Hour at Myetts – again!

IMG_9682[1]Photo:  Glenn, Kim, me and Mike 

We manage to get my drink prepared the way I want (Baileys blended with ice – it ends up like ice cream – yum!).

Tonight’s sunset is even more beautiful than last night’s and warrants more photos.

DSCN1597 Photo:  The sun starts to go down over Cane Garden Bay

IMG_9684[1]Photo:  How’s that for pretty?

The crowd starts to go their different ways to eat and we are tempted to go to The Elms, but knowing we will be there on Sunday night anyway, we are easily persuaded by Rick and Kim to join them on their boat for a curry.  How can we refuse?  Friday night is curry night after all.  Rick’s curry is delicious and Kim’s rum punches are lethal.  Luckily, I only have one but Mike gives in and has two.   Ouch, he might regret that tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment