18 January 2011

Day 377: Cape Town to St Helena – 18/01/11

I sleep badly again even though it’s calm and relatively quiet.  The sea motion is a lovely rocking one and I am frustrated that I can’t sleep – it should be lulling me into a gentle slumber but it isn’t and I can feel my neck and shoulders stiffening up through lack of sleep.  And the headaches have started.

Mind you, having said I don’t sleep, I do for a little bit, and manage to do this at the point where Mike has managed to catch a large, stupid and very desperate tuna.  He bangs on the back of the boat to get my attention as he needs to slow the boat down but I am dreaming about a monstrously huge crab which has got itself caught on our fishing line and is being dragged along behind the boat.  What a coincidence.  Probably all the banging incorporated itself into my dream.

Apparently, after fighting the large tuna, it gets away.  Just as well.  I don’t want blood and guts all over my nice clean (ish) boat.

The sun comes out for a short time in the afternoon and I take advantage of it for about 20 minutes then retreat back into the shade.

The lead boats have arrived in St Helena already but we are two days behind – and falling.  We get down to a force 1 wind, less than 5 knots, and are still motoring.  Mike has calculated that we have enough diesel to get us all the way to St Helena motoring (the wind is predicted to start up again on Friday by which time we will be there) but we will need to fill up there.  I hope the boats that get in before us don’t exhaust the supply!

I go to bed early in the evening, having taken a pill to send me off  hoping this will break the pattern.  However, an hour later, and feeling really weird, I am still awake.  My body is totally relaxed thanks to the pill but my mind just keeps rambling around.

 

Our position is:  18 deg 37 min S, 02 deg 16 min W

Distance so far:  20027 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment