15 January 2011

Day 374: Cape Town to St Helena – 15/01/11

The weather follows the exact same pattern today – cloudy and grey in the morning followed by sun in the afternoon, although it stays somewhat overcast.  For the first time in ages it actually feels hot in the salon.  Mike doesn’t wear socks today.

I see and hear something drop from the general direction of the mast.  What tiny bolt has now come off?  Whatever it is, I can’t see it on the deck just from looking through the windows and I know better than to go searching for it when Mike is asleep just in case I tumble overboard.  It’s a recurring nightmare on this trip – you wake up and all is quiet.  For all I know Mike could go overboard while I am sleeping and I wouldn’t know anything about it.  Whenever I wake up I either listen intently to see if I can hear him moving around or I yell until I get some response then I know all is well.

Anyway, I digress.  When Mike is up I send him out searching for whatever it was that fell but it turns out to be a piece of the light that I damaged when I was being hauled up the mast.  He also finds an enormous and very stiff flying fish which he hurls over the side.  We haven’t had any of those for a while.

This has got to be one of the most boring passages so far.  It has been uneventful (thank goodness) but unrelenting nothingness is beginning to get on my nerves.  There’s nothing but grey, blue and white all around.  Nothing on the radar to watch.  No wildlife.  Brazil will certainly be a shock to the system!!!

 

Our position is:  22 deg 53 min S, 03 deg 03 min E

Distance so far:  19661 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment