22 October 2010

Day 289: Mauritius – 22/10/10

First thing in the morning, my stomach is still bad.  Swallowing Imodium yet again, I insist on waiting for ages to see that it has taken effect before I leave the boat and it is even later than yesterday when we eventually make our way out of Port Louis.

I have read in Jim’s book that the town of Floreal  is the place to find all the outlet cashmere shops so we go there first.  Obviously I don’t tell Mike that.  Floreal is also the place where all the foreign diplomats and consulate staff live and it’s leafy avenues are supposed to remind one of Haslemere.  While we are driving around we just happen to find one of the aforementioned outlets(!), go in for a look and buy a nice cotton dress, as you do in a cashmere shop!  Mauritius manufactures for many of the European designers so my dress by Guess is a fraction of the price.

We drive right down to the south east of the island and start to make our way north along the coast road, going through many sleepy little fishing villages on the way.

P1040351 Photo:  Fishing boats

We stop for lunch at a beautifully located Creole restaurant, La Belle Kreole, at Blue Bay on the banks of the lagoon.  The menu lists very traditional fare and I choose a heavily flavoured dish of mountain hare while Mike has venison.  The food is good but unfortunately my glass of wine is disgusting.  Goodness only knows what it is but it’s the only one available by the glass.

P1040355 Photo:  Mike at La Belle Kreole

We then meander through the interior of the island, through miles of sugar cane, and numerous hamlets.  It’s so weird.  Sometimes you drive past churches that would not look out of place in a country village in England then you round a corner and there is an elaborately carved and painted Hindu temple or a mosque.

P1040361 Photo:  More acres of sugar cane

We eventually arrive at the north of the island just before the sun sets.  Grand Baie is the tourist haven of the north.  This is where all the good shops, clubs, restaurants and bars are located and the bay is full of booze cruise catamarans, although traditional life lives alongside and the fisherman sell their catches of the day by the roadside.  Some of it looks great but I have a fear of buying stuff that has been sitting around with the flies!

P1040370 Photo:  Catch of the day

P1040365 P1040366 P1040371 P1040378 Photos:  Sunset shots of Grand Baie

Just as we are returning to the car, I spot a beautiful shawl fluttering on a model just inside a shop selling traditional Indian and Kashmiri pashminas, carpets and the like.  The shawl calls to me even from across the road.  I walk in a trance.  Mike follows moaning.  Close up I can hear her entreaties.  “Buy me.  You know you want me.  He won’t mind”.  Once it is in my hands it’s too late.  I knock the price down a bit and the deal is done.  I am a happy girl.  Mind you, how we manage to get out of the shop without buying a carpet or two and loads of beautiful bed linen is beyond me.  The shop is full of exquisite items and even Mike looks like he could be tempted if we weren’t living on a boat with a storage issue!!

P1040442 Photo:  Heaven is a silk and cashmere shawl!

On the way back to Port Louis we sample the delights of the supermarket and stock up on our beloved flaky parathas.  As it is now late, at least we miss the worst of the queues and there is no traffic hindering us when we get back to town.  By the time all the shopping is put away, it’s time for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous shawl! The shop sounds fantastic. We've been enjoying the photos of the island. Hopefully you are feeling completely back to normal by now. I thought about you at lunch today while enjoying a nice glass of white wine called Conundrum. It was so good that Joe said we needed to stock up on it but that it was getting to the end of "white wine season". I said to him, "you better not tell Jean that!"

    Love to you both,
    Heather
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete