07 October 2010

Day 274: Cocos Keeling Islands to Mauritius – 07/10/10

I wake up and look at my watch and get out of bed thinking that it’s two hours later than it is and I should be on watch.  Mike points out that I’ve read my watch wrong and I go back to bed but an unable to get back to sleep.  Then I wake up early from my morning sleep.  Bummer.  Mind you this does mean that we eat lunch at a reasonable time rather than nearly 3 pm which it was yesterday.

The weather has changed again and the big waves are back, getting bigger as the day goes on.  The wind is light in the morning and we flounder around a bit doing between 4 and 5 knots, but as the wind picks up, this increases until at the end of the afternoon we are getting an average of 7 knots from about 23 knots of wind.  We have some current against us otherwise we would go faster.

The generator is now producing voltage that is too low to do anything but charge the batteries.  Thank goodness we don’t need to run the air conditioning or the water maker – it’s cool enough and we have nearly a full tank of water which should get us through to Mauritius.

By the time I go to bed, the sea is absolutely heaving again.  Huge waves once again pound the boat and make dreadful crashing noises.  The motion of Jeannius going through the water is very unpleasant.  First the front of the boat slews to the starboard side and then even faster the stern comes around and we have this awful skidding motion which makes you feel like you have left your stomach behind.  I take a sea sick tablet (the kind that make you drowsy) on my way to bed.  I think I’m going to need it – that and my earplugs!

 

Our position is:  20 deg 03 min S, 67 deg 57 min E

Distance so far:  15760 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment