02 October 2010

Day 269: Cocos Keeling Islands to Mauritius – 02/10/10

Same old, same old.  Same high winds, same high seas, same grey skies.  Boring, boring.

P1040019 Photo:  More grey skies and saltwater spray

I haven’t sat in the cockpit since we set sail which is definitely weird.  In the afternoon, the sky gradually clears and patches of blue sky appear.  What a welcome sight – sunshine.  The strong wind is cool though when you venture outside and we have no need of the air conditioning (which of course we can’t run anyway) except to dry out the boat, which, with all the recent rain, is taking on a decidedly damp feel.  Even though the blue sky and sunshine is tempting, the huge waves which are constantly crashing over the boat put me off.  I’m not going out there until the sea calms down and that won’t be for a few days yet.

Mike is hardier than me though, and while he is out there checking stuff, a flying fish lands at his feet.  He quickly throws it back into the sea before it dies but it takes three hand washes before he can get rid of the smell from his skin.  Revolting things.

On the SSB I listen to the chatter.  I can’t believe I am hearing three men talk about what they are having for dinner.  While I sit and lose the will to live, I notice that Mike is very quiet and not adding to this conversation – he probably doesn’t want to admit that his lazy bitch of a wife is only offering peanut butter on toast!

By early evening we have some pretty clouds, a mackerel sky no less, and even see the sun set for the first time in ages but it’s just too rough to go out and photograph it.

 

Our position is:  18 deg 53 min S, 81 deg 04 min E

Distance so far:  15013 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment