06 October 2010

Day 273: Cocos Keeling Islands to Mauritius – 06/10/10

My morning sleep lasts until nearly lunchtime for the second time in three days – wonderful.  All that extra beauty sleep!  I’ll look years younger by the end of this passage at this rate, or I would do if this whole thing hadn’t added about ten years to me already!!!

It’s a lovely sunny day when I eventually emerge.  Mike has been tinkering with the generator as per the instructions given to him by the agent in Australia and asks me to check the voltage while he makes some adjustments from down in his black hole.  What we end up with is a temporary fix - it reduces the voltage output to a level that means we do not have to have the air conditioning and the water maker on in order to reduce the voltage to a level which the inverter will accept.

Although it’s late by the time it’s cooked, we have a wonderful lunch (if I do say so myself).  Australian lamb fillet pan fried with rosemary and garlic; white cabbage cooked in butter with chilli, garlic and rosemary (tastes totally different to the lamb seasoning) and creamy mashed potato (out of a packet but they’ve come a long way since ‘Smash’).  Mike has his with a glass of wine to help him sleep and heads off to bed.

Once I’ve cleared up I lie in the sun for an hour, the first time for ages.  It’s gone 4 pm and already the sun is starting to go down a little.  The cushions feel disgusting as they are still covered in salt, but the sun and the cool breeze are just too tempting.  The sea state is just the way I like it with largish waves coming from behind and gently nudging us along, unlike the way we were being thrown along just a few days ago.

Mike ran the water maker this morning and with only four days or so left of this passage (I hope) there’s plenty to spare for a nice hot shower to wash away the salt I picked up from the cushions.  Of course the day isn’t perfect, as I find out when I go to bed and lie there for ages before eventually falling asleep, but it sure beats the first nine days of this passage.

 

Our position is:  19 deg 50 min S, 70 deg 37 min E

Distance so far:  15609 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment