16 June 2009

Peter Island to Road Town

Today is boat turnaround day.  Again I wish I had spread the associated chores over the last week, but apart from the laundry, I haven’t, so I have the lot to do today.  Entirely my own fault!

We leave Peter Island, and, dodging the showers, arrive in Inner Harbour Marina shortly after 11.  First job, get the air conditioning on.  Next job, lie down as it’s so hot but that would be too good, so instead I start on the internal wipe-down – work surfaces, floors, walls (in the bathrooms), and not forgetting my favourite job, the toilets.  Then make the beds.

Jus after we arrive, the heavens open, and boy, does it rain.  There is thunder and lightning too and the sky turns really dark.  Just like at home!  After about 2 hours it stops, but the sun doesn’t come out which is unusual.

After lunch Mike goes out to get the fishing licences, the cruising permit and some other stuff for the charter while I continue my cleaning routines.  Three hours later, he still isn’t back.  By this time, I am frantic.  I’ve seen the way they drive here – some of them actually seem to aim at you.  It occurs to me that if something has happened to him, no one would know to come and find me on the boat, and I can’t contact him because he has left his mobile phone on the table.

I am seriously contemplating phoning Malcolm to ask him what to do when I spot Mike chatting up (well, talking to – I am exaggerating here for some dramatic effect) the blonde off the boat next door).  As it does, my relief turns to anger.  Now I know he’s back safely I am going to kill him!  But obviously, I don’t, although the arms crossed stance and eyes full of daggers are quite a warning and he has the good sense to grovel.  He hasn’t been out enjoying himself, as I find out, so I let him off - eventually.  He has walked the length and breadth of Road Town looking for the fishing gear he wants and ended up borrowing it from Kelly on Caribbean Dream.

After a cuppa, we go out shopping to get the last bits of provisioning for tomorrow’s charter but Supa Value has a nasty surprise in store;  no chicken, no mahi mahi and only two packets of shrimp instead of three.  In my head I immediately start revamping the menus for next week but am not happy.

We’re both tired at the end of the day, and have an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment