13 June 2009

Peter Island to Leverick Bay

After another good night’s sleep, two cups of tea and a cheese and ham stuffed croissant, I feel ready to heave myself out of bed, but it’s not until late morning that we actually leave Great Harbour.

It’s another beautiful day – a little more cloudy than yesterday but just as fresh.  I could get used to this.  We start off motoring but once out of the anchorage it’s obvious that we will be able to sail most, if not all of the way to Leverick Bay.

I sunbathe for just a little while, one of the first times I have actually bothered doing so and there is enough breeze to keep me comfortable.  I am so enamoured with my new blender that I make asparagus soup for lunch which is lovely, albeit a tad cold after the time it takes me to sieve out all the stringy bits.  These stringy bits are there as a result of not wanting to waste the ends of each spear that I have snapped off and frozen.  Then, for desert, (something I don’t normally bother with) I blend yogurt with vanilla yogurt.  Now, if the blender would just clean itself I would be a very happy bunny!

We get to Leverick Bay around 2pm and decide to keep going as it’s been such a lovely sail.  While I was cooking and blending, Mike did all the tacking by himself, his enjoyment obvious by the grin all over his face.  We continue past the entrance to North Sound and approach Necker Island, tacking until we are quite close.  We then go around the north side of it and turn back when we get near to the large reef.  We get the sails down because we want to get as close to Necker as we can for a good old nosey!

IMGP1524Photo:  Necker Island from a distance

IMGP1516Photo:  Some of the fabulous looking accommodation on Necker Island

As I watch, a helicopter arrives and lands just behind the beach.  Some lucky guests arriving?  Or maybe Mr Branson himself?

IMGP1540

  Photo:  Guests arriving at Necker Island by helicopter 

We motor all around the south side of Necker.  The accommodation looks beautiful, as it should do for the price!  There is a sandy spit to the south that Mr Branson had plastic palm trees planted on for someone’s wedding.  The palm trees are still there.  I don’t realise at first that they are plastic – that’s why their branches don’t seem to move very well in the sea breeze!

IMGP1537Photo:  Plastic palm trees?

From Necker, we go around Eustacia Island, through brilliant turquoise waters, manoeuvring between the rocks and through the channel, entering North Sound between Saba Rock and Bitter End Yacht Club.

IMGP1544Photo:  Saba Rock Resort, a hotel on …… a rock!

IMGP1541Photo:  Bitter End Yacht Club – the bit round the corner

IMGP1542Photo:  Beach at Bitter End Yacht Club  

As we motor into Leverick Bay, Mike realises that he still has the fishing line out and rushes to wind it in but it is too late and the lure gets caught on a mooring ball as I steer through the mooring field.  That’s three lost in just over a week!  At least we keep the line!

We just get the anchor down when David, the Harbour Master, arrives in his dinghy and berates us for not mooring in a slip, so we up anchor and toddle over to the marina.  How wonderful, I will be able to have the air conditioning on all night which might be a blessing – I feel a little warm.  Maybe a little too much sun?

Sophisticated Lady is parked a couple of slips away so I go over to inspect her new paint job and say hello.  No one is there, but someone whistles at me and for a moment I think my luck has changed, until I realise that it is just Rick’s parrot, Lucky.  Oh well!

I bump into Ali, the lovely barman and check that I am getting the recipe right for the BBC and he confirms that I am.  I get back to Jeannius, and strip off ready for a shower.  No sooner am I naked than there is a knocking on the boat.  Yes, it’s Rick and Kim and there I am, proving to them once again that I never have any clothes on.

After making BBCs for Mike and I, I send Mike up to the shop to buy some mayonnaise and he comes back with ice cream too.  Good boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment