18 June 2009

Cooper Island to Marina Cay

We leave Cooper Island quite early as we are heading for The Baths at Virgin Gorda before heading to Marina Cay.  It is a good sail there, tacking all the way.

Even though we arrive at The Baths around 10.30, it is crowded but Mike spots the only mooring ball and goes straight for it.

Our guests go ashore to do the walk from the beach through the rocks to Devils Bay and back again except Burhan who has spotted a barracuda swimming around the boat and wants to catch him.  Nick catches a small fish before he leaves for the beach and it is carefully removed from the hook and put back in the water.  As it swims off, the barracuda eats it.  It really isn’t his day!

Burhan catches another small fish and uses it for bait, jiggling it around for the barracuda, but he’s not interested – he’s obviously full now and suspicious.  Burhan keeps at it for nearly an hour, determined not to let the fish get the better of him but it does and eventually he gives up and he and Mike go to the beach to pick the others up for lunch.

After lunch we motor over to Marina Cay.  Early in the evening a large Lagoon 500 sails incredibly close to us and I rush out ready to glare or insult, whichever is necessary, then realise that it is Mike Kneafsey coming to say hello.

DSC00778 Photo:  Marina Cay

I go down to empty the rubbish and discover that the rubbish bag has broken and deposited everything – coffee grounds included – all over the cupboard and my cleaning materials and the coffee grounds escape over the floor as I open the door.  It is quite a mess and cursing does not relieve the frustration I feel when I see it.  Coffee grounds are disgusting to touch.  As I remove the bag to I realise that it hasn’t split at all.  The person who put it into the holder – Captain Mike – had failed to understand the simple principle of actually opening the bag, and just inserted it, closed, into the opening, so that when rubbish was dropped into the chute, it just dropped straight through ending up everywhere except the bag.  He is in dead s*** for a while but he has the good sense to look extremely sheepish while I (note, I) clean it up.  That episode will be stored in the very small book entitled “When Mike Cocked Up!”.

In the evening we all go out to the Pussers restaurant at Marina Cay and I have my favourite, fillet mignon with curried rock crab.  Delicious.

DSC00780Photo:  Mike and I at Pussers, Marina Cay

DSC00783 Photo:  Mike, myself, Sama, Burhan, Mai, Chris, David and Shye (sorry Nicky – the waitress cut you off!)

No comments:

Post a Comment