29 December 2010

Day 357: Knysna to Cape Town, SA – 29/12/10

I find it hard to wake when Mike comes to get me for my watch at 2 am but at least this is because I slept!

It’s Ann’s birthday today and I write a quick e-mail but can’t send it as the wifi dongle won’t work this far out to sea.  I watch some TV and catch up with some blog (very behind – naughty, naughty).  By the time Mike appears around 7 am I can hardly keep my eyes open and go down to bed without even bothering about my cup of tea or my breakfast and sleep solidly until nearly noon again.

Unfortunately, when I get up, spending too long in the bathroom getting washed makes me feel sea sick as the weather is now very breezy and the sea is uncomfortably rolly.  I stagger up the stairs (no sea legs yet) and collapse on the sofa demanding ginger syrup.

I stay on the sofa most of the afternoon, only getting up to check the instruments and outside every 20 minutes when the alarm clock reminds me to do so.  Mike, unfortunately and unusually, doesn’t sleep apart from a quick hour, and because we hope to be in Hout Bay early in the morning and are going to alter our watches slightly to allow for this, I send him to bed at 7 pm and this time he sleeps for two hours.

I manage to get the e-mail off to Ann and in the late afternoon she rings to say she will be coming to Cape Town after all with Terry when Alice arrives on 3 January, and they will be staying on the boat for a few days with us – but not going anywhere!

By the time it’s my turn to go off watch, I am well and truly ready for my bed again, staggering down the stairs and hurling myself into it.   It’s so cold on the boat (the water temperature is now down to 10 degrees – brrrr) that we have to put another blanket on the bed.

 

Our position is:  34 deg 30 min S, 18 deg 35 min E

Distance so far:  18644 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment