28 December 2010

Day 356: Knysna to Cape Town, SA – 28/12/10

I am awake at 6.45 am.  Mike is already awake and up so my cuppa arrives soon after.  I have had a good night’s sleep back in my own bed.

Ann and Terry arrive around 7.15 am to help us untie the lines.  We have hugs and kisses all around then we pull away into the lagoon while they race round to The Heads to watch us go through.

Our exit is very unspectacular.  It’s a grey and drizzly day with virtually no wind, which makes for an easy exit but not good video.  I can see Ann and Terry waving from the base of the lighthouse at the East Cafe and wave back, all safely tied onto the pulpit of the boat by my lifeline just in case there’s a sudden rip tide, which there isn’t.

It’s strange to be back on the boat after so long on land.  We’ve spent almost 5 weeks in Knysna and the longest we have had off the boat on the whole journey so far is three days in Australia.

So, to get back into the rhythm, I go to bed, just like I would do if I had just come off my night watch and sleep until almost noon, getting up to make lunch.  Mike has a Guinness with his and then has his turn in bed.  See, passage normality restored.

We still have very light winds in the afternoon which does nothing to shift the grey drizzly clouds, so we motor then put the genoas out on the starboard side and get an extra 0.2 knots of speed – wow! - hardly worth the effort, although this ‘help’ does increase to nearly a knot as the wind increases later in the afternoon.

By early evening the clouds part enough to just reveal a bit of blue sky and we can see the glimmers of a sunset through them on the horizon.  Neither of us are very hungry and just nibble at some dip and crackers in the evening before taking our normal watches.

 

Our position is:  34 deg 35 min S, 21 deg 15 min E

Distance so far:  18516 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment