27 December 2010

Day 355: Knysna, SA – 27/12/10

Mike and I get up early as refrigeration guy is coming to the boat and I really need to do some cleaning ready for going to Cape Town tomorrow.  I borrow a really large bag of Terry’s with all our clothes and drag them down to the boat to unpack, leaving Ann with the last few bits of our washing to get done.

The guy turns up and gets the freezer going but not the fridge – there’s a blockage and although he has a suction pump it is not strong enough to clear it.  Mike decides that the best solution is to have a working fridge so we switch the freezer down to fridge mode.

I clean out our cabin and bathroom thoroughly and make up the bed.  The rest can wait until we get to Cape Town.  I suddenly realise that it’s gone 2 pm and we haven’t eaten or drunk anything so we eat a mars bar and have a glass of water (haute cuisine, huh?).  The boat is still in need of a good hose down in the cockpit but the pressure in the water system is really high and Mike doesn’t want to risk more holes in the new hose so we leave it. 

Heine rings and we invite him and Jenny down to look at Jeannius.  Terry calls and he and Ann come down too.  We go to the oyster bar just along the dock for a couple of rounds to say goodbye.

P1050836 Photo:  Ann, Mike and me

P1050838 Photo:  Heine, Jenny and Terry

P1050839 Photo:  All of us

Terry takes us shopping – at least with just a fridge there’s less provisioning to worry about and there will be plenty of time to sort it all out in Cape Town (the list of things to do and get done in Cape Town is steadily growing!).

We make a mad dash back to Ann’s to have our last decent showers and get ready to go out for a meal at the Dry Dock restaurant at the Waterside.  It’s at this point that Terry decides he trusts me enough to cut his hair (either that or it’s now got so long it’s annoying him enough to trust anyone) and in the failing light on the veranda I plonk him down on a chair clutching a carrier bag and give him a trim, my heart in my mouth in case I do anything horrendously wrong.  I’ve been cutting my hair for a year now and never made a disastrous mistake but this could be the time for one now.  In the event it’s fine – I think.

P1050840 Photo:  Saying goodbye – Mike and Ann

P1050843 Photo:  Saying goodbye – me and Terry

It’s been a lovely stay in Knysna, and a lovely stay with Ann and Terry (I don’t think Ann and I have spent so much time together since we both lived at home with mum and dad), but it has to end for the next bit to start.  We hug at the end of the dock and head back to the boat.  They’ll be down tomorrow to say goodbye again and to watch us go out through The Heads.

It’s good to sleep in our comfy bed again with our wonderful pillows, especially as Mike’s is now freshly laundered again and dried properly this time and no longer smells.

Tomorrow it’s back to the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment