13 December 2010

Day 341: Knysna, SA – 13/12/10

I have found a jewellers that can set the pearls Mike bought me in Fakarava and spend quite some time drawing out exactly how I want the setting to look, with the help of the photo of some beautiful earrings I saw in Sydney).  Armed with this, I go to the jewellers and discuss price, always a thorny subject.  The nice young lady has given me three quotes so far, but today we agree on a price we are both happy with and I give them the go-ahead and hand over my pearls.

It’s an exciting day for Mike - he continues to work on our tax returns.  However, while he is doing this he is able to watch TV and catches up on a whole load of Top Gear.

He is running out of people to contact regarding the broken freezer.  The only refrigeration people that he has been able to find in Knysna don’t want to come out to the boat even though she is in a marina, and all the boat builders here buy their units in and just fit them.  I don’t want to wait until Hout Bay because I want to do the provisioning here.  It will be so much easier.

Taking a break, Mike goes to the people who are making the cover for the dinghy and they give him some off cuts of blue sail material so that we can make a temporary fix for the chafing on the genoas.

For Ann and Terry it’s a frustrating day.  Apparently workmen are the same the world over.  They are having a whole load of work done on the house and garden and just like in the, UK they never turn up when they say they will.

In the late afternoon I speak to Eline and Jutta from Chessie.  Eline was just checking in for her flight from Cape Town to Perth although she will be back on Christmas Eve.  They are all coming to Knysna for Christmas and have checked into the beautiful hotel at Simola, Terry’s golf club, for a few days.  Instead of flying back to Munich for 10 days, Jutta and Jochem are now staying in Hout Bay in an attempt to get the rudder repaired on Chessie.  This broke when they were on their way to Hout Bay and in 80 knots of wind they had to be towed into the marina by a rescue boat, along with Brown Eyed Girl who also ran into difficulties.  I’m glad we missed that one although I am now even more nervous about what this last bit of the Indian Ocean has in store for us when we leave Knysna after Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment