23 December 2010

Day 351: Knysna, SA – 23/12/10

What a bummer.  For some reason I am wide wake at 4 am and try as I might, I can’t get back to sleep.  Eventually I give up and get out of bed, taking my computer with me and catch up on some blog.  I find Ann lying on the sofa, half asleep but with the television on.  She too has been having trouble sleeping.  I set myself up in Terry’s office but before long I can hear familiar voices – Eastenders!  I abandon the blog and settle myself down in front of this awful British soap that I used to watch and enjoy myself for the next hour.  I now have little idea who most of the characters are or what has been going on in the story lines but I enjoy it anyway – how sad!

Mike and I leave early to take some stuff back to the boat and do the last bits of food shopping.  When we go to pick up the lamb it’s not ready and they prepare us some on the spot.  When I see the size of the three huge deboned legs, butter-flied out, it looks like we have the whole animal waiting for us, enough to feed about 20 people, and I have to get them to go and search for a lamb who was the runt of the litter with slightly thinner and less muscled legs!.

Mike goes back to the boat and I go off to do some shopping.  I am looking for a wifi dongle for Ann as a ‘thank you for having us’ present.  She often wants to use the internet at the same time as Terry and if we buy her one she will no longer have an excuse not to do her e-mails!  I try all the shops but no one has them in stock although I am told them might be in on Friday and take my details. 

Terry’s present is easier – a mosaic candle holder that I had seen him admiring in Kloppers.  While I am there I also get my new broom and handbrush – one just like Ann’s - exciting stuff!  My excitement is short lived however as when I get back tot the boat Mike tells me that neither the fridge or freezer are working.  In the late afternoon, Mike goes to Knysna Golf Club and plays half a round of golf with Terry. 

While those two are being sporty, I go to bed in the afternoon to try to catch up on sleep and Ann sunbathes on the deck.  I cat nap for a short while but come to with a thumping headache and take some strong painkillers which fortunately ease it quite quickly as we are going out to dinner at Jenny and Heine’s in the evening.

When the boys come back it’s obvious from the big grin on his face that Mike has had a great time, beating Terry (just) and returning with a back that hurts more (from the unaccustomed twisting) than his arthritic hands.  Maybe there’s hope for him.

Not wanting to drink much with a waning headache, I am the nominated driver.  Heine prepares us a wonderful Bobotie – a mild South African curry made from minced beef, a mixture of spices and apricot jam (it sounds weird but it works) with an egg custard baked over the top (again, weird but works).  Jenny, who doesn’t like cooking, makes us a great Malva pudding.

A lovely evening

No comments:

Post a Comment