04 December 2010

Day 332: Knysna, SA - 04/12/10

Having got up early yesterday, when Ann and Terry go off to the farmers’ market at Sedgefield. just along the coast, we don’t go with them.

Just as they get back we are leaving, Mike to go and sort the dinghy out and me to go to the manufacturing jewellers here in Knysna.  I had discussed having the three pearls that I bought in Tahiti set here but the quote came in very high.  I am sure we are talking at cross purposes and need to talk to them again face to face.

We start off at the yacht services place.  Of course, dinghy repairs are done by them but not at the place we go to so Mike talks to them on the phone and arranges for them to look at the dinghy on Monday.  He then goes off to do other boat bits while I go to the jewellers.  I am right to visit in person.  Although I had sent a picture of the setting I wanted and the sizes of the pearls, they had got the proportions wrong and were quoting for something much bigger than I want so they will send me another quote.

I’m much too early for Mike so I wander around town looking for a driftwood Christmas tree but don’t find one.  On my way round, I go into lots of clothes shops but they are really weird.  On the outside, quite a lot of them look really good but inside, they turn into old lady shops with lots of polyester and nasty designs.  I have a quick look and escape quickly.  Apart from the jewellery, Mike could be saving some money here!

We go back to Ann’s for lunch then Terry goes to the driving range, Ann dozes on the settee, Victoria plays with her new iPad and Mike watches golf on the TV.  I can’t remember what I do so it’s obviously something equally scintillating.

Late in the afternoon we go to the African craft market but it’s so late that it’s closing.  Having made the effort to get out we decide to go out to Brenton on Sea to have a look around and maybe collect some driftwood from the beach to make Ann a Christmas tree with.  On the way we pass pine and fir forests – if she gets really desperate she can always come out here and chop one down!

We park at the top of the cliffs overlooking the long, sweeping, deserted beach on one side and some magnificent rocks on the other.

P1050372 P1050376 P1050391 P1050390 P1050393 Photos:  High on the cliffs at Brenton on Sea

Ann and I manage to find some driftwood sticks, which we shove into the boot of the car as a start for her Christmas tree, then we go back home to where Terry has been busy planting a nice jasmine climber and transporting the dug up earth on his boots all over the deck.  Ann immediately sees an opportunity to get our her broom, tutting to herself all the way round, only posing under duress for a photo when every speck has been removed.

P1050399 Photo:  Mrs Mopp on top of the world

Dinner is the steak that we should have had yesterday, and it is delicious.  The knife just slides through it.  I didn’t know that South Africa was known for its beef but every bit we’ve had so far has been really good.  If we could just get our freezer working again I’d really stock up.

No comments:

Post a Comment