27 September 2010

Day 264: Cocos Keeling Islands to Mauritius – 27/09/10

The squalls, bringing wind, lightning and probably thunder (I can’t hear if there is any over the horrendous noise the sea is making as it crashes over and against the boat) continue all night.  The auto helm, Samantha, bleeps all the time but I just ignore her as there is no way I am going out into the cockpit.  She is less annoying than usual as the other noises drown out her irritating bleeps for attention.  Anyway, I can see that the wind is all over the place as I sit glued to the radar and the Maxsea charts.

When Mike gets up I fall asleep almost immediately once again.  When I wake up, there is no change.  The weather reports are telling us to go further south to avoid the worst of the weather and this will make our journey longer – wonderful.  They also show no let up in the weather system for some days yet – bliss!  Living the dream?  Right now more like living the nightmare!

The torrential rain continues and huge waves constantly break right over the boat.  Then we find a puddle on the table in the salon and realise that the hatch is leaking right by my laptop.  Luckily we always stand it on two thick neoprene mats to help absorb any impact damage as the boat heaves around, and these have kept it dry.  We then go searching and find water coming in through hatches that have never leaked before.  Mike, ever the master of the understatement, tells me that there is a bit of water by my dry food containers.  When I go to investigate, I find my dry box sitting in a huge puddle of water, and the cardboard wine boxes totally sodden.  Out come the towels and buckets.  Oh I really am enjoying this – not!

The day and evening continue with no let up in the weather conditions at all.

 

Our position is:  14 deg 20 min S, 93 deg 38 min E

Distance so far:  14207 nautical miles

1 comment:

  1. you had it there having a bad weather.hadn't it?better come back next time where the weather is perfect to enjoy everything that Mauritius can offer.we had a lot of fun at Mauritius Holidays.

    ReplyDelete