10 September 2010

Day 247: Darwin to Bali – 10/09/10

During the night we pass an enormous oil platform type thing, lit up like a Christmas tree.  At first I think it’s a large ship but when I realise it’s not moving I consult the charts and work out what it is.  I now even know how to take a bearing on the charts and set a course.  What a little navigator I am turning out to be – but let’s hope my newfound skills never have to be put to the test!

The day passes in another haze of inactivity with nothing to look at except the inside of a book.  At least I am managing to get to sleep – for now.

While Mike is taking his opportunity to nap, I flick through the skippers’ information on the passage to Bali, suddenly realising that by the time we arrive, the fleet will have left.  Up to that point I thought they would be preparing to leave – for some reason I had it in my head that we would overlap for a day.  Now I am really worried.  Not only has the incident with the boat completely unnerved me, but I am not good with totally new cultures and need a cushion of people around me for a day or so to get the lay of the land.  I realise how pathetic this sounds but I was just the same the first time I went to India.  I’m a very naive and cautious traveller and the thought of Mike and I being on the only WARC boat fills me with dread.

I talk to Mike about it and he says we have until late afternoon to make up our minds, but if we change our course to Cocos Keeling now we will run out of fuel.  I know we have no choice but to continue to Bali.  I am really nervous but tell myself not to be such a wimp.

My back continues to be sore.  Every time I turn over in bed I wince – it’s enough to bring me to if I am asleep but I go back again immediately after.

The Australian customs plane flies over twice today, once in the afternoon and then again in the evening.  Both times they call us on the radio and confirm who we are.  God, these guys are thorough - we are now nearly 200 miles away from their nearest bit of land.  It’s quite scary when you don’t hear their approach as they appear so suddenly and come really close, although they never actually fly directly over you, always to one side.  I’m sure they can see straight into the cockpit!

There are fishing boats around on my first watch but they are lit up well and stay a good distance away from us.  At least we have a little wind, just enough to fill the two genoas and help us along a little, although we still have to motor. 

 

Our position is:  12 deg 03 min S, 123 deg 10 min E

Distance so far:  12423 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment