13 September 2010

Day 250: Darwin to Bali – 13/09/10

Although there are rain clouds all around us, the little patch of sky above Jeannius remains resolutely blue.  Pity.  We could do with a little rain to wash the fish scales off the boat.  Yes, welcome back to the flying fish, big buggers these are too.  One lands on the large side cockpit cushion and another right by the open bathroom hatch.  I’m just glad it didn’t flap itself through the opening.  Imagine stepping on that in the middle of the night.  Ugh!  Mike chucks them overboard but leaves the fish scales for me to discover later on.  Nice.

We eat sausages, mash and caramelised onion gravy for lunch – real British cold weather comfort food, just what you need when you are sitting sweating in 35 degrees in the cockpit of a boat in the middle of the Indian Ocean.  Ah, we Brits do like our little bit of home!

We continue to sail with just the genoas out as the wind is virtually behind us, and it’s a nice comfortable sail.  Although I failed to sleep when it was my turn in the morning, in the afternoon, Mike has no such problem and I jealously listen to the melodic rhythm of his snoring accompanying the gentle lapping sound of the boat as she slips through the waves.

My failings as a nautical/domestic goddess are shown up in the late afternoon when I discover the source of the strange earthy smell in the galley – my six remaining potatoes have a strange soggy quality and are given a burial at sea.  If I could just stop the brie from stinking the fridge out, maybe I could redeem myself.  As it is, every time I open the fridge door I accuse Mike of having farted.  It’s a constant mystery that this triple cream (that’ll be low calorie then?) Australian variety doesn’t taste as strong as it smells.

I find two more flying fish on the trampoline and the remains of something unpleasant looking near the anchor chain.  I’ll investigate that one when we are safely in the marina tomorrow.

P1030808 Photo:  Flying fish on the trampoline of death

I go to bed in the evening breathing a sigh of relief that we have got past the island where the boat following incident occurred without a repeat of the same.  I’ll live to moan another day.

 

Our position is:  09 deg 49 min S, 116 deg 08 min E

Distance so far:  12788 nautical miles

1 comment:

  1. Whew! What a rough sail (motor)! I am so glad you saw a familiar face or 2 in Bali. Too bad about all the trash in the sea. I hate to hear that. Hopefully you will see some terrific things and places tomorrow and maybe even get a new piece of jewelry! ;)

    Please keep up the yoga- maybe it will eventually help with your pain. I'm so sorry you have that to add to the list of trials on this adventure. I had to laugh about the Brie. You are too funny!

    I'm sorry to hear about Johanne's sister being worse. I haven't heard from her in a while. Please tell her hello for me.

    I just want to let you know that your writing on the blog has always been an easy read. You have a way with words that let's the reader see what you see. Even on your most boring days when all you see is blue, white, and grey, it is something to me. I will probably never see that in person but I can almost imagine the way it feels to be alone out there at sea. It's lovely to read and I am thankful that you are taking the time to share it all..good, bad, and ugly. ;)

    I miss you and look forward to seeing you. Take care!

    Heather
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete