24 September 2010

Day 261: Cocos Keeling Islands – 24/09/10

Oh boy.  Do I pay for last night’s excess?  Yes, in buckets!  For me, the day is a complete waste as I lie in bed feeling sorry for myself.  The weather is also pretty atrocious and the squally rain showers and high winds mean that the barbeque that is planned for tonight is cancelled as the people bringing the food over to cook think that the water across the lagoon will be so choppy that it will be dangerous.

On a miserable day like this, there are lots of boring house keeping jobs that I could be doing but I feel so rotten that I just can’t face them.

The rain stops after lunch and by late afternoon I am just about able to pull myself together enough to go over to Direction Island with Mike for the skippers’ briefing.  Normally I don’t bother but there are lots of people I want to say hello to, not having seen them since Australia.

While sitting at the table on the beach, i get bitten to death by sand flies, which just about puts the finishing touches on how grotty I feel.  Quite a few people bring wine and nibbles down to the beach with them but Mike and I head back to the boat for a quiet night in – without alcohol!

No comments:

Post a Comment