09 September 2010

Day 246: Darwin to Bali – 09/09/10

At some time during the black, black night, we overtake the other yacht.  Nothing else is around.  Looking out into the blackness all around us is most disconcerting.  You can’t see where the sky ends and the sea begins.  I miss the moon but we won’t have one the whole way to Bali.

P1030780 Photo:  The rising sun creates a purple sky

In the morning the customs plane goes over again but doesn’t call us this time.  We are over 100 miles from the nearest part of the Australian coast – I’m amazed they check this far out.

I am just nodding off to sleep after my second watch when I hear texts coming in on the satellite phone.  I smile sleepily as I know who it is – Johanne is the only one who sends these and I look forward to reading them when I get up.  When I do, however, it is not good news as her poor sister is beset with more health problems and Johanne is obviously upset and as soon as the time difference allows, I call her using the satellite phone.

On the boat, with hours and hours to do nothing but turn your thoughts inside yourself, it’s all too easy to let your own troubles and worries get out of proportion.  Our conversation gives me the mental slap in the face and kick up the arse that I probably need.

I spend most of the afternoon lying on the floor of the cockpit on my yoga mat not doing yoga but doing Sudoku, a mind numbing activity which is great for passing the time.  Every now and then I do a few stretches as my back did suffer again on our last day in Darwin, courtesy of the propellers and the shopping and is still giving me some jip.

We see and hear no signs of life.  It’s easy to feel that you are the only people on the planet.

Checking my e-mails, I see one from rally control warning of an incident that happened when one of the yachts neared Bali.  Apparently they were followed at a distance of 50 to 100 metres for over an hour by a boat with four men in it.  The guys followed their course, changing direction when they did, before eventually heading back towards land when the yacht turned south.  I am now very nervous about being alone on the sea but there is nothing we can do except plod on.  Although we are not heading towards a known trouble spot, you can never be 100% sure. 

We need to re-fuel in Bali as we have done nothing but motor since we left Darwin.  Mike has sat and worked out that we have enough fuel to to get there even if we have to motor the whole way, but I hope it doesn’t come to that – apart from the money it is costing us for the diesel, the incessant drone of the engine is beginning to get on my nerves and we can only use the air conditioning for a very short time each evening to conserve the fuel we need for motoring.

P1030790  Photo:  A sunset too – how original

 

Our position is:  12 deg 16 min S, 125 deg 33 min E

Distance so far:  12289 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment