21 September 2010

Day 258: Bali to Cocos Keeling Islands – 21/09/10

A particularly vicious wave crashing against the boat wakes me half an hour before I am due to go on watch.  I get up anyway and let Mike get some sleep.  One of us needs to be alert and it’s certainly not me at the moment.

My watch passes uneventfully and just before 5 am I crawl back into bed, falling asleep after about half an hour, good for me.  However, I am awake by 7.30 am and just lie there snoozing for for a while, hoping that I will fall asleep properly again, but I don’t.

Mike can’t hear anyone on the SSB but the position report files show that nearly all the boats have now arrived.  Ocean Jasper should arrive this afternoon, then us in two days time followed by Basia a couple of days later.  There’s an e-mail from Eowyn asking if anyone has some spare toilet pipe as theirs only toilet is blocked and they are now resorting to the overboard, fresh air system (bucket and chuck it).  Ugh.  Thank goodness we have four toilets!

I’m still a bit low but mainly tired, and the tiredness is giving me a permanent low grade headache.  I lie down on one of the side cockpit cushions for half an hour – I am getting so pale that I am worried that I will burn if I am out in the sun for too long and need a bit of added colour.  While I lie there I think about the sailing.  I moan about how hard it is and how exhausting it is to do the passages double handed, but I have to admit to being the first one to refuse any offers of help by having an extra crew member because I am so adamant about Mike and I doing this alone.  I want the sense of achievement that I know I will have when it’s all over.  As they say, you can’t have an omelette without breaking eggs, and no pain, no gain.  Some days though, I really wish Scotty would beam me up!

At long last my hair has reached the length it is after a normal haircut.  I hack a few bits off to keep the shape and feed the scissor addiction which I have had to curb recently out of necessity.

I try to sleep twice during the day and am successful neither time.  Nothing changes.  I have two watches tonight so by tomorrow morning I should qualify as a member of the living dead club.

 

 

Our position is:  12 deg 19 min S, 101 deg 01 min E

Distance so far:  13723 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment