19 September 2010

Day 256: Bali to Cocos Keeling Islands – 19/09/10

I have a crap night’s sleep, changing from the stern cabin to the bow then back to the stern.  It’s difficult to decide which one is less noisy.  In the bow cabin, there’s an intermittent clanking from one of the bow lockers – it sounds like the door to the propane gas containers is flapping open.  In the stern cabin, the propeller makes a horrible whine as it can’t free spin fast enough to keep up with the speed we are sailing.  The noise of the sea is pretty much the same in both.

It’s grey, wet and dismal all day but the strong winds continue and keep us gaining on the fleet, little by little.  At one point, as we skate down a wave, I notice a speed reading of 14.3 knots.  It’s just a fleeting second but it’s the fastest I’ve ever seen Jeannius go.

I can’t bear the thought of trying to stand in the galley and cook so I take out a container of dhal from the freezer.  Unfortunately, I discover it’s the most boring batch I have ever made.  If the one I gave Matt was out of this batch, no wonder he never came back for more.  We eat it anyway.  Beggars can’t be choosers.

We see another yacht on the radar, the one we overtook on the way to Bali but cannot see her in the distance.

A large container vessel, MSC Monica, comes close behind us on my first watch but AIS shows that she will pass no closer than three miles to us so I can relax.  I am so glad we’ve got that and wish Mike had bought it earlier.

 

Our position is:  11 deg 33 min S, 106 deg 31 min E

Distance so far:  13408 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment