19 February 2011

Day 409: Salvador, Brazil – 19/02/11

Today’s news?  Yesterday Annie and Jim got engaged.  Well done guys!  I demand to see the proof and she hot foots it onto the boat to get the rock out to show me then sensibly puts it away to be worn where you are less likely to get your finger chopped off for wearing it.

Sad news though is that yet another yacht and its crew have been kidnapped by Somali pirates.  There are currently over 30 yachts and 660 people being held captive by pirates, most of them in the treacherous waters of the north Indian Ocean towards the Gulf of Aden, Yemen and Somalia.  It can’t be long now before people stop taking these routes altogether as the pace of pirating is escalating all the time and warship protection is only available for commercial vessels.

As we intend taking off tomorrow for a couple of days at an island 30 miles south of Salvador before heading north to Recife, we need to do a supermarket run for our fresh produce, and join Maggie and Bob in a taxi.

We have no need for any condiments, canned or dried goods as I am still running my stocks down in preparation for leaving the boat at the end of April but it’s amazing how much you can spend on fresh and frozen stuff.  We haul it all back to the boat and I spend the next couple of hours cutting up the filet mignon into steaks, and dividing up the chicken portions into meal size portions.  Having been delighted to find chicken thighs (for our Friday night curries) I am not so happy when I open the packets to discover a slightly unpleasant smell.  Mike insists it’s fine but I am not so sure.  I give them a good rinse and put them at the bottom of the freezer where they will only be used if we run out of everything else.  Even then, Mike will be my canary bird.  He thinks they are OK.  He can eat them first.  If nothing happens, I’ll eat it the next day.  Or I will just chuck them overboard when he’s not looking!!!

Another afternoon snooze is in order then we get ourselves ready for Annie and Jim’s engagement drinks and nibbles do where I am nominated as the official photographer, somewhat of a surprise as I normally drive Jim mad taking photos.

MEMO0001 MEMO0007 Photo:  Annie and Jim – the happy couple

They have made an Ocean Jasper cocktail – vodka, more vodka, coconut milk and something fruity – quite yummy!  Most of the fleet are there to celebrate with them.

MEMO0031 Photo:  Me, Annie and Judith

MEMO0032 Photo:  Mike and me

Of course, cocktails and I don’t mix very well and I get just a little squiffy quite quickly.  It’s a good job it’s not far back to the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment