16 February 2011

Day 406: Salvador, Brazil – 16/02/11

We dither around for the morning then after lunch Mike gets cracking on changing the oil filter on the port engine and I go off with Maggie for a spot of sightseeing.

We go up the elevator to the Pelourinho district.  I now know my way around quite well and can act as a guide for Maggie although I know she’s quite capable of finding her own way around.

P1060523 P1060524 P1060525 Photos:  Views from the top of the elevator

P1060527 Photo:  The usual militia presence

P1060528 P1060530 P1060543 We decide to visit the “Golden Church” again as Maggie hasn’t seen it and doesn’t know whether she will have time to visit with Bob.  I try to take different photos to last time but they all just look … golden!

P1060535 P1060536 P1060539

P1060542 Photos:  Inside the “Golden Church” again

When we come out Maggie goes over on the side of one of the cobbles and breaks her flip flop.  There’s nothing else for it, it’s down to the Havaiana shop for us and she has to go barefoot.  We stop at another shop on the way but have a bit of trouble with the language.  Maggie tries to explain that she wants a blue pair a bit bigger that the one she has tried on but the guy pulls out everything but!  He obviously doesn’t have the blue one in a bigger size and hopes she will give in and have something different.  There’s one of the militia guys in there as well and even he gets involved in the non-sale.  We smile and leave.

We do get to the Havaiana shop and she manages to get a blue pair which fit.  We venture a little further down than I did with the other day and we both start to feel a little uncomfortable and go back up the hill.

P1060548 Photo:  As far as we dare go!

P1060552 P1060553 P1060557 Photos:  Street scenes

P1060556 Photo:  Maggie buys a scarf

I go to draw some money out of an ATM for tomorrow’s trip and realise that I have left my cash card back on the boat so  Maggie kindly acts as my personal banker.  We manage to get down in the elevator thankful that the queue is somewhat smaller than coming up and head back to the marina with aching feet as we have been walking around in the heat for nearly four hours.  We meet Jutta, Rosemary and Lee on the way back and Jutta invites us for a drink on Chessie.

P1060558  Photo:  A game of dominoes taking place at the fishing port

Mike is asleep when I get back to Jeannius so I go over alone where one small quick drink turns into about five small quick drinks and I wobble my way back to Jeannius just as the alcohol hits me.  I am just about able to fix dinner for Mike and I (thank God for the soup in the freezer) and watch TV is a rather relaxed fashion before falling into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment