12 February 2011

Day 402: Salvador, Brazil – 12/02/11

During the night, Mike goes through a strange phase where he can’t keep still at all.  His muscles feel terribly twitchy but then he eventually falls asleep.  When he wakes up, he is completely better.  I am twitchless in the night and so wake up feeling almost as lousy as yesterday.

Johanne, Steve and Mike go into the town while in the morning.  All I want to do is lie in bed sweating and feeling very sorry for myself so I encourage them to go and fall asleep.

When they get back around lunchtime they say that their trip was interesting as they were the obviously the only tourists there and as such have been objects of curiosity, drawing stares from the locals although not in an unfriendly way.  They say that the centre of the town is nice and it would seem that life goes on in a very different way to Salvador, and probably the way it has for years.

P1060408 P1060387 P1060391 P1060392 P1060393 P1060397 P1060407 P1060399 P1060398 Photos:  Views of Maragojipe

Johanne comes back armed with Havaianas for herself and a pair as a present for me to make me feel better.  Ahh.  After lunch prepared by nautical goddess number two, we set off for the town on the island of Itaparica.  Johanne has been making me drink water with salt and sugar in to help rehydrate me and I also start taking some antibiotics specially for stomach problems, so by mid afternoon I am starting to feel a little better and actually get up.  Or maybe the Havaianas are working their magic!

P1060410 Photo:  One of the many Catholic churches at Itaparica

When we arrive at the anchorage at Itaparica town, Chessie and Crazy Horse are already there.  They come over in their dinghies to say hello on their way to the sand bank for sundowners but we decline to go because of my stomach.  Although I am feeling a lot better, I still don’t feel safe but within an hour or so I start to feel quite a lot better and we go to join them.  At last I get off the boat!

It’s shallow quite a long way out from the sand bank and we jump out and pull the dinghy up the beach.  Matt and Rosemary are there along with Jutta, Eline and Jochem who have Bev and Moe with them on the boat for a few days.  We sit on the beach and chatter and pose for photos in the beautiful sunset.

P1060428 Photo:  Jutta, Johanne, Steve and Rosemary

P1060427 Photo:  Mike downing a beer

P1060416 Photo:  Nautical goddesses numbers one and two - Johanne and me

P1060418 Photo:  Me, Bev and Matt

P1060426 Photo:  Matt and me (with Bev and Moe doing something arty in the background)

P1060422 Photo:  Finally, the sunset

Suddenly ominous rumbling sounds in my guts tell us that it is time to go and we drag the dinghy back out and head back to the boat, calling by Blown Eyed Girl to say hello on the way.

Johanne cooks dinner again although I don’t risk any more than boiled potato and avocado and am quickly filled up with just that.  I’m still exhausted but by the time I go to bed I am feeling almost normal again, just frustrated that two days of Johanne and Steve’s holiday has been ruined by my illness.

We have an early night in the hope that I am well enough to go ashore tomorrow with everybody to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment