03 February 2011

Day 393: St Helena to Salvador, Brazil – 03/02/11

For the first time ever I transgress the written law – the one about not falling asleep on watch.  I am so tired when Mike wakes me up in the night that instead of watching the TV or playing games, I set the alarm clock for 15 minutes and lie down in the salon.  This works for about an hour – I get up at the 15 minute intervals and check that everything is ok.  Suddenly I am jolted awake and realise that I can’t hear the clock ticking.  Given that it is just 18 inches away from my head this is ominous, even more amazing though is the fact that I have slept through the horrendous noise that the bloody thing makes when it goes off.

Mortified, I sit upright and don’t give in to the temptation to lie down again for the rest of my watch.

I have been forcing myself to watch the trilogy of The Lord of The Rings.  Oh my God!  I don’t like fantasy films or books at the best of times but 11 hours of this stuff is nearly killing me.  I wouldn’t bother but we are worried about running out of stuff to watch before we finish so we watch practically everything we have been given.  I have to point out that Mike gave up on this after half an hour.  I am now three quarters of the way through the last film and I can’t say that it passes the time very well.  Still, it just about keeps me awake.

P1060242 Photo:  Another day dawns

When I go down for my morning nap it just doesn’t happen, and after two hours I give up and go back up to join Mike.

The heat and non-existent or next to nothing winds continue but Mike has worked out that even if we have to motor the rest of the way we should make it with about 11 gallons of fuel to spare.  That includes using all the stuff in every jerry can too.

P1060250

Photo:  A squall on the horizon

P1060255

Photo:  The same squall on our radar screen

I manage to speak to Rosemary from Crazy Horse on the SSB but can’t make Jutta out at all.  I know she is talking but I can’t understand the words as it is far too faint.  Both boats are catching us up day by day so hopefully as they get closer the transmissions will improve.  Apparently Jutta is throwing a rum punch party when we get in.  If Mike and I arrive in time we will have to go very lightly on the rum punch as Johanne and Steve arrive early the next morning and we can’t afford the hangovers that Jutta’s rum punch inevitably induces.

P1060258 Photo:  Flapping pathetically in a non-existent wind, our goose-winged genoas

 

Our position is:  13 deg 28 min S, 33 deg 01 min W

Distance so far:  21670 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment