29 September 2012

Day 78: Bodkin Creek, Pasadena – 29/09/12

Today is another late start, for me anyway.  I am not long up when Mike tells me that Kathy and Andy are on their way over in a kayak and I race to clean my teeth, hoping that my nightie (which I never wear in bed anyway) looks vaguely like a sun dress.

They have come to say hello and have a look around Jeannius.  Although Kathy has had sailing holidays on motor boats and monohulls, she has never been on a catamaran before and looking around Jeannius makes her realise how much she now wants to go on one in the BVIs.

I do some work on the blog and my photos but the day spent in Washington is a long one with lots of pictures and I quickly get bogged down with it.  I know the blog will be a wonderful aide memoire when I am old and dribbling, but there are times when it is a real mill stone around my neck!

I finally get to talk to Rosemary of the Crazy Horse gang, fresh back from her cruise up to Nova Scotia, and we plan our get together.  She is on her way over to Maryland Yacht Club, just around the corner from us when I talk to her, but we do not have enough time to get together today so we arrange for us to go over to them after Jeannius is hauled out on Monday.  I can’t wait to see them all.

We head over to Kathy and Andy’s dock again and immediately we arrive I can see that someone has been cleaning the dock.  Gone is the duck pooh, for a couple of days at least.  We are meeting Kit and Nolan, our friends from Baltimore who moved to Pasadena a couple of weeks ago and when we emerge from the house, Nolan is waiting for us.

He drives us to their new house – looking remarkably straight given that they have been there for such a short space of time – and Kit plies us with food and drink (Nolan reads my blog so provides SB) – even though we are going out for dinner later.  As if I weren’t fat enough already!!

Their new house is right on the water, and we are able to look over the stretch of the Patapsco River that we motored up on our way to Baltimore.

We go into Baltimore for dinner, to an area of the docklands which are becoming very upmarket.  Locust Point has many lovely streets full of small terraced houses that are gradually being done up mainly by young professionals.  It reminds me of some areas of East London but with more trees.

They take us to Miguel’s, a Mexican restaurant which is in an interesting building which used to house grain silos, but has now been built around to incorporate offices, apartments and the restaurant.

As you walk into the building, a long, high-ceilinged passage painted with amazing frescos, lead you to the restaurant.  The inside’s paint job is as interesting as the outside’s.

P1120642 P1120640 P1120641 P1120643 Photos:  Miguel’s Mexican Restaurant, Locust Point

The menu is impressive and I have a margarita while I am choosing.  Unfortunately my first choice is unavailable but my second is very good.  Neither Mike nor I are usually fans of Mexican food probably because it is so often done badly, but Miguel’s is excellent and worth it for the decor alone!

P1120645 Photo:  Kit and Nolan

We have another great evening – I keep saying that but it’s true!  We have had three nights out on the trot, and all have involved volumes of really great food.  I must stop eating.  I will explode!

 

Position:  39 deg 10 min N, 76 deg 31 min W

Distance so far:  2677 miles

1 comment: