10 September 2012

Day 59: New York – 10/09/12

Today is a much less frantic day thank goodness.

I start off with the trek to the so called laundry – the one washer and the one drier.  Luckily neither is occupied and having had the whole night to cool down, the drier does my towels without conking out on me.

Terry, Alice and Matt go off to do some sightseeing leaving Ann to unpack most of the stuff and tidy up, Mike to do boat stuff and me to do whatever it is I do that I can’t remember later.  This happens quite a bit and obviously means my mind is elsewhere – probably missing Victoria.

By lunchtime, jobs are done for all of us and Ann and I take a walk up to Broadway to visit Zabars to buy something for lunch.  Now Carol has been telling me all week that I must visit Zabars, a Jewish fast food joint and a deli that is a New York institution.  Little do I expect what I find.

Yes, there is a little cafe part in which you can buy coffee and get lovely pastries and cheesecake.  But it is so much more than that.  Next door, in fact for the next three doors, it is the most incredible deli full of the most amazing food, kosher and non kosher, local and imported, with every possible food available raw, cooked or frozen.  I just love places like this, and after wandering around for a few minutes and realising that we will be able to do our provisioning for at least a week here without schlepping down to Whole Foods Market at Columbus Circle on the subway, I buy something for lunch and go back to the boat.  This means that the three of us have the afternoon off, just lazing around the boat.

The weather is glorious too.  Gone is the heat and humidity of the last few days.  The sky is a brilliant, clear blue with a cool breeze.  Perfect.

We had already arranged to meet the three tourists at the top of the marina at 5 pm to help us carry the food down to the boat that we thought we would have brought.  Some faces (mentioning no names) look less than happy when they realise that they will have to go back up the road and do the shopping with us, although smiley faces are resumed once they get into Zabars and realise wheat a treasure trove it is.  As we go around with the trolleys, we are all like kids in a sweetie shop.  Oh how I wish we had come here before!

$465 and a walk back down the hill later, I get the food stashed away and we all get ready to go out and eat.  Amsterdam Avenue runs parallel to Broadway and a nice lady stops to help us with our choice of restaurant.  I’m not sure we settle on the right one as the food is ok to good but more expensive that we would have expected but it is difficult to choose something that we all agree on.

P1120009

Photo:  Cheers!

We don’t make it a late night.  Tomorrow if the weather is agreeable we will start our journey down towards the Chesapeake.

No comments:

Post a Comment