28 September 2012

Day 77: Bodkin Creek, Pasadena – 28/09/12

We spend the day doing a mixture of things although I have to admit to having a bit of a lazy day.  I am trying to finish a really good book and stay in bed until I do.

The rest of the day flashes past in a whirl of boat stuff, cleaning (although there’s not that much to do since my sister gave it a good going over) and computer jobs and it seems hardly any time since I got up before it is time to go over to Kathy and Andy’s for dinner armed with two bags of laundry that Kathy has told me to bring.

Immediately we arrive, I am offered some very good SB, in fact it’s one of the wines I drink at home – always a good start.  Kathy and Andy are terrific hosts and very good cooks.  The good thing about people who read my blog who then cook us dinner is that they know exactly what we like, so it is no surprise when Kathy puts down plates of crab cakes served with a medley of roast vegetables, shrimp, sausage and rice with a pineapple chilli sauce.  Yummy.  If that weren’t enough, out comes baklava, cheesecake (two types) and Smith Island cake (a heavy chocolate and vanilla layered cake).  By the end of a very enjoyable evening, I am fit to burst.  At least I have some exercise trundling up and down the stairs to the basement fiddling with the laundry until it is ready.

P1120629 Photo:  Kathy and Andy

They walk us through the garden to the dock.  We have learned our lesson and have left the dinghy at the end of the dock in deeper water this time!  Unfortunately it has just started to drizzle so I stand at the end of the dock and remove my trousers, folding them up carefully and putting them in my bag in case I have to sit down on the dock to get in – the dock is covered in wild duck pooh and I have no wish to get that on my trousers.  I needn’t have bothered though.  Unbeknown to me, my flip flops are already covered in the gooey stuff and as I step down into the dinghy, the combination of wet dinghy and dock pooh covered flip flops cause me to slip and land on my backside on even more duck pooh.  Then to add insult to injury, I step back once in the dinghy and my flip flop catches Mike on the thigh, covering his trousers with the stuff.  On top of that, the ducks have been using the dinghy as a landing and take off platform and the dinghy floor is also covered!  How lovely.  At least it washes off!

Yet another lovely evening (apart from the duck pooh) with good food and excellent, entertaining company.  We are finding Pasadena very hospitable indeed!

 

Position:  39 deg 10 min N, 76 deg 31 min W

Distance so far:  2677 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment