08 September 2012

Day 57: New York – 08/09/12

Victoria and I are having a girly day today so Mike goes off to find the nautical book shop that we failed to find a few days ago and she and I get ready in a very leisurely fashion, so leisurely that it’s nearly midday by the time we actually leave the boat.

We head back to Columbus Circle and the rather large shopping mall that we spotted there yesterday.  I spied another branch of J Crew there yesterday and having decided that all the clothes I bought on the Fifth Avenue branch were too big, I wanted to change them.  Unfortunately I had already worn the t-shirt so it is just the cardi that I need to deal with.

It’s another hot day and really humid with it.  Although the subway is hot, the trains themselves are air conditioned.  Unfortunately the short journey to Columbus Circle is just too short to cool us down properly.

I change my pink cardi and buy a couple of lovely cotton t-shirts before heading down to Whole Foods Market to get some lunch from their buffet service.  I choose an absolutely delicious southern American mix of okra curry and squash stew with fried fish.  Yummy.

We get the subway once again to Times Square where I meet Morgan Freeman, not the real one of course, but the waxwork outside Madam Tussauds. 

P1110894 Photo:  Me and my mate, Morgan

Victoria wants to go to the HBO shop and we walk along 42 Street for some time before we find it.  What a disappointment it is.  Literally t-shirts and mugs themed around about 4 of their shows.  Really not worth the walk or the time.  However, we get wonderful views of the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building and various other steel and glass beauties, and in my book, that makes it all worth while.

P1110895 P1110896 P1110898 P1110904 Photos:  Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful buildings!

P1110905 Photo:  This wonderful old building just off Times Square is inscribed with the words “The Show Folks Shoe Shop Dedicated To Beauty In Footwear” – we like that!

We trudge back to Carol’s, once again through Times Square.  I think we know the surrounding area really well now!  When we get there we are both hot and exhausted even though we have only been on the go for about 3 hours.

After stripping off and drying out over the air conditioning unit, Carol says we have to leave to have any chance of spotting Jake Gyllenhaal as he leaves the off Broadway matinee he is currently performing in.  We walk back to almost exactly the same spot we walked past about and hour ago and Victoria and I both groan with aching feet.  However, about 10 minutes after arriving at the theatre, Jake comes out and happily signs autographs and poses for photographs.  Unfortunately Victoria and I are far too English to push ourselves forward so although I get photos, they are not with us.  I have to say I don’t like the beard or the tattoo though, Jake.

P1110919 Photo:  A very polite and accommodating Jake Gyllenhaal

Now Carol knows New York like the back of her hand, and she knows it all, every inch of it, by foot, and she walks bloody fast!  Victoria and I struggle to keep up with her as she strides across the city, this time en-route to Macys which has a sale today and she has money off vouchers burning a hole in her bag!  As we race along, a few steps behind her all the time, I admire the architecture around me. 

P1110921  Photo:  Another amazing piece of architecture

P1110927

Photo:  The Empire State Building seems to appear around every corner when you are mid town

We stop for Carol to get a coffee at a Dunkin Donuts and Victoria wants a bottle of water.  They don’t sell them however, so we ask just for a cup of water.  They are happy to give us the water but sell us the paper cup for 60c.  How tight.

We get to Macys and it is heaving.  Entering by the handbag department Victoria spots a nice one by Guess that is 50% off and with one of Carol’s vouchers will end up costing her less than £60.  She is very tempted and drags it around the store for the next hour before finally deciding to be good as she still has things to buy for her flat.  And after years of moaning about my sailing hat, I buy a black one which Mike later describes as being exactly the same but in black.  As he’s a man and cannot see the subtle differences, I do let him off this one.

Talking of the man, we have arranged to meet him around the back of Macys at 6.30 pm and he turns up 10 minutes late as he has been waiting by the wrong exit.  By this time, the rain that has been forecast for the day but which managed to hold off, is now falling with a vengeance.  Armed with my new hat I agree to walk the 10 blocks to the restaurant that Carol has booked.  At least the rain is cool.  I don’t care what I look like and as I don’t want my new shoes to be soaked and made filthy by the rain, I slip them, in my bag, put a pair of flip flops on and roll my trousers up.  I have no shame!

Carol takes us to El Quixote on 23rd Street next to the Chelsea Hotel (sometime home of Andy Warhol and Sid Vicious) in the district of the same name.  It is a wonderful Spanish restaurant which has been there since the 20’s and is full of locals rather than tourists.  It’s huge inside and packed.

The food is wonderful.  Mike ends up having the most amazing tapas of steak tips, scallops in garlic sauce and chicken livers with peppers and onions; Victoria has seafood stew; Carol has the most amazing king crab claws in garlic sauce; I have lobster in garlic sauce.  The portions are huge (doggy bags are required) and I was proved wrong in my assumption than no one can put more garlic in garlic sauce than me!  Thank God we all have some!

P1110928 P1110931 Photos:  Dinner with Carol at El Quixote

We have a wonderful evening with Carol and it’s sad to say goodbye to her at the end.  Our paths do not cross very often but because we have known each other for well over 30 years, when they do cross, it’s always comfortable and fun.

Thankfully the rain has stopped when we leave the restaurant and I am able to hand Carol back her umbrella.  I keep the flip flips on and trousers rolled though as we walk the very short walk to the subway.  I feel very sorry for everyone sharing our subway carriage after all that garlic!

Yet another fantastic day!

 

Position:  40 deg 47 min N, 73 deg 59 min W

Distance so far:  2335 miles

3 comments:

  1. Love reading about all your adventures. I kept thinking, "I've been there", as you described the sights in NYC. I loved it and was so amazed how safe it was after all the bad press they get. I hope to get back and see a few shows and more sights. So glad you and Victoria are having such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos of the architecture Jean, you really do have an eye to capture things. I love the lamp post photo!!

    Diane from ttol

    ReplyDelete