09 September 2012

Day 58: New York – 09/09/12

Today is Victoria’s last day so we get her packing done early and she wanders around the boat having her photo taken in every corner, for once not complaining when I ask for just one more.  I end up with 11.

P1110933 P1110941 P1110940 Photos:  My baby’s last day

We have a few more things on the list today but doing them and then coming back to the boat for Victoria’s suitcase is not really feasible so we decide to do them all and drag the suitcase with us.

First stop is Penn Station to find out about the train to the airport.  They run every 15 to 20 minutes which is great but have no left luggage place, understandable really, so we get the subway to Grand Central Station for lunch, dragging it along with us again.

Grand Central Station is amazing.  The floors and ceilings are pale golden marble.  Huge golden chandeliers hang from the vaulted ceilings, and polished brass is everywhere.  The lower floor is a dining concourse and there are upmarket shops everywhere.  It is totally stunning.

P1110950 P1110951 P1110947 P1110952 P1110948

P1110954 Photos:  Grand Central Station – glamour from a bygone era

We go down to the food concourse and all choose something different – one Thai, one Chinese and one Indian - then share a piece of cheesecake from Juniors which is meant to be the best in New York.  We manage to pass the Magnolia Bakery place without buying anything else – a miracle for Victoria and I.

P1110958 Photo:  The display at the Magnolia Bakery counter

We drag the suitcase from the station along the road to the United Nations building on the east side of the river, stopping to take photographs on the way – of buildings – what else?

P1110960 Photo:  The ‘fancy bit’ over the entrance to Grand Central

P1110963 P1110966 P1110968P1110967

P1110994 P1110991 

Photos:  More beautiful buildings

We get to the United Nations building and I have to say, I am severely disappointed.  I had expected all the flags to be out as a matter of course but according to the policeman that I asked, they only put them out when they are having events and summits and stuff.  Without them, it looks like a boring 60s office block.  The police obviously think it could be a target though as about 20 squad cards line the street opposite on both sides.  It looks like a good wheeze – a plan to sit around on your mobile phone for a few hours to me!

P1110976 Photo:  Mike in front of the United Nations

We walk back to Grand Central on a parallel street just for a change of view.  It is a leafy area, full of lovely brownstone buildings and it is evident that most of the residents here work at the UN – there are diplomatic and consulate license plates galore.

P1110977 P1110978 Photos:  Where do you think they work?

Suddenly I look up and my favourite building is right there – the beautiful Art Deco Chrysler Building.

P1110975 P1110987 P1110985 P1110995 P1110996  Photos:  The Chrysler Building – again, for the last time!

As we are standing in front of this wonderful building, Victoria and I suddenly realise that the beautiful art deco doorway that I photographed earlier was actually one of the building’s entrance – and that we had walked past it on the way to the United Nations without noticing.  10/10 for observation then!

Back at Grand Central, we take the subway once more to Penn Station.  The train is brand new and painted inside to resemble a football field – the NFL games started recently.  There’s even a little TV showing games – I wonder how long that will last before it’s vandalised?  Having said that, the trains we have been in so far have all been clean.

P1110997 Photo:  Decorated like a football field – different!

From Penn we take the LIRR then the special train to JFK airport.  All run smoothly and in no time we are having to say goodbye to Victoria, something I have no wish to do.  It’s been a fantastic few weeks with her and as we hug goodbye we are both fighting back the tears.  I don’t care how old she gets or how often we part, I hate it every time and don’t mind admitting it.

We wave her through the gate and stay until we can’t see her any more then head back to the station.  Unfortunately we get on the wrong Sky Track and end up at Howard Beach instead of Jamaica so we have to get the subway instead of the LIRR which doesn’t seem a problem until we get on and see the state of the subway carriage – and it’s occupants.  I slide my hand over my gold watch and hope I don’t mugged!

The time between stops seems to take forever, and lengthens with every one.  Suddenly an announcement is made that due to an earlier incident on the track we will be going slower than usual.  Slower than usual means that it takes over an hour to get back to Manhattan where we have to change onto our usual line.  By the time we get back to the marina it’s early evening and Ann, Terry, Alice and Matt are waiting, suitcases by their sides, having just arrived from the UK to stay with us.

I thought I would have a couple of hours to turn the boat around and do the laundry before they arrived.  Instead I have to strip the beds and rush off to do it all but of course, the one machine which serves the whole marina is occupied.

I eventually get the sheets washed but discover that the one drier is full of wet washing.  Presuming that it had just been left there by someone who hadn’t hung around to wait I pulled it all out and piled mine in.  Just as I switch it on the lady whose washing I have just bunged in the basket turns up and wants to know (politely) why I have barged in.  It turns out that the machine overheats and you have to leave it to cool down.  It started straight away for me so I hadn’t realised there was a problem.  Apparently the performance of the machine is a constant source of irritation to both the manager of the marina and the long term liveaboards.  Luckily the lady accepts my story about desperately needing dry sheets for new guests (which is true) and I promise to put hers back in when my finishes, which I duly do.  I still have a load of towels to dry but they can wait for the morning.  It’s 11.30 pm when I finally haul one dry bag and one still wet back back to the boat.

Yet another great day except for having to say goodbye to Victoria.  Oh and the subway.  And the drier!

 

Position:  40 deg 47 min N, 73 deg 59 min W

Distance so far:  2335 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment