10 August 2012

Day 28: Boothbay Harbor – 10/08/12

The forecast for the next few days is pretty dire and we have the opportunity of using Joe’s car so we decide to get away from the boat and go and see Heidi and Casey, more people from the World ARC rally.  I make arrangements with Heidi then Mike and I get on with a few jobs.

It’s grey and miserable outside – thick fog again – and said to be set for thunderstorms.  Wonderful.

We gather up some laundry – mostly salty stuff from Mike’s close relationship with the sea over the last few days – and bump our way over to the house.  Judy had asked me to water her garden but feeling how wet everything is and knowing the forecast is rain over the weekend, there’s no real need.

Laundry done we go in search of lunch and a boat hook.  I had read about a lobster place on the other side of Boothbay Barbor in Lonely Planet and the lobster roll (literally a large roll overstuffed with large lumps of lobster) doesn’t disappoint.

We get talking to a couple on the next table and it turns out he wants to do what we have done but she looks terrified and probably wishes she had been sat next to any other couple but us.  It’s amazing, but when I hear myself talking about what we have done over the last few years, it does sound pretty amazing but I know I had that ‘rabbit in the headlights’ look that she is giving me now.

We manage to find a boat hook too, more expensive (of course – bloody boats) that we had thought it would be and it’s not a floater (they didn’t have any – people obviously don’t drop them in this part of the world) but it will have to do.  We also go down to one of the fishing docks and buy some scallops and lobster meat.  I am going to try to make some last for when Victoria gets here but she may be unlucky.  After a quick scoot around the supermarket (more wine, more beef jerky) we go back to the boat.

It’s not long before the promised rain comes.  Apparently Maine needs the rain but I wish it could have waited a little longer.  This weather is all down the east coast, from Canada to Virginia, caused by a weak, low front.  There’s no escape until Monday.

Roll on Monday is all I can say.  Then I can complain about the heat!

 

Position:  43 deg 15 min N, 69 deg 38 min W

Distance so far:  1786 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment