04 August 2012

Day 22: Boothbay Harbor to Tenants Harbor – 04/08/12

Firstly, I would like to point out that I haven’t spelled ‘harbour’ incorrectly.  This is just an example of that old saying ‘two nations separated by a common language’!  I will use the US spelling when it occurs in named places but I will spell it the CORRECT way everywhere else.  I’m glad I got that sorted!!

It’s another beautiful day, virtually no clouds and at 7.30 am, warm enough to stand outside in my thin cotton wrap.  However, last night was a different matter - having been in the high 80’s yesterday, I just put the one blanket on when I made our bed up.  Mike whinged a  bit but I just ignored him.  I regretted that decision as I woke up a few times in the night because I was cold but I was just too lazy to get up and get another one.

Judith and I go for a short walk around the coast and spot a huge eagle or osprey nest on the chimney of a neighbouring property.  We can’t quite make it out but there looks like there’s something large, white and fluffy sitting on the top.

P1100490 Photo:  I hope he doesn’t want to light a fire sometime soon!

We motor off around 11 am.  Although the sun is strong, the chilly breeze feels quite cold and it isn’t long before Mike and I resort to thin, long-sleeved tops to counteract it.  It feels really weird to wear ‘normal’ clothes while sailing.  It’s usually been either very little to nothing at all or foul weather gear.  The air feels smooth and clean and not laden with salt.  Altogether lovely.

P1100495 Photo:  Following Brown Eyed Girl, this time in the sunshine

P1100498 Photo:  One of the many lighthouses

P1100508 Photo:  Mike enjoying the sunshine

We eat pan fried scallops with salad for lunch – yummy - play dodgems with the fishing pots again and spot dolphins and seals as we motor through the calm sea.  It takes 5 hours to do the 25 miles and we only have the genoa out for a short while and one engine all the way.  Towards the end of the trip the sheer number of lobster pots becomes ridiculous – there’s hardly room to get Jeannius through them and Mike is zig-zagging the boat like crazy.  Of course, this could be why we have yet to see another catamaran and why everyone comments on her as we pass.  That and the fact that she is from Liverpool. 

P1100521 Photo:  A famous artist’s house (I forget whose!)

P1100533 Photo:  Safely anchored with Brown Eyed Girl

When we are safely anchored we pick Judith up in the dinghy and take her over to walk around the village, leaving Joe on board to clean the cockpit of Brown Eyed Girl.  At least that’s what he’s supposed to be doing but given that he joins us 45 minutes later for dinner, it probably won’t be up to Judith’s standards.

P1100541 Photo:  Maine is very patriotic – flags fly everywhere

Dinner is seafood – of course.  Mike has haddock and chips but I go for a lobster and a load of deep fried scallops with onion rings and coleslaw.  It is absolutely delicious although I do wish they would provide garlic butter to have with the lobster instead of the plain stuff.  Maybe people around here are just to polite to go around stinking of garlic.  Me?  No such manners, and I’m getting withdrawal symptoms!

P1100535 P1100545 Photos:  Tenants Harbor

Another lovely day, and if they could just move the lobster pots out of the way for us ………

 

Position:  43 deg 57 min N, 69 deg 11 min W

Distance so far:  1656 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment