08 August 2012

Day 26: Hell’s Half Acre to Tenants Harbor – 08/08/12

We wake up to a slight haze in an otherwise clear sky and make an early start as we want to get to Camden on our way back for a visit.  Maine looks beautiful today.

P1100622P1100628 P1100631

P1100637  P1100633 Photos:  When you can see it, Maine is just SO beautiful!

Although we have seen many seals, they seem to be very timid creatures and slip away before I can get the camera out.  However, today I get lucky!

P1100625 Photo:  A seal, poking his curious little head out of the water

I should have known that it was all too good to be true though.  As we leave Stonington behind us, the fog suddenly descends.  It does it so stealthily, just a few wisps at first, then whoosh, no visibility!

P1100643 Photo:  Yuk!  Here it comes again

It stays with us most of the way to Camden, then as suddenly as it came down, it lifts and we can see again, lobster pots and all.

We anchor amongst the moorings in Camden harbour and have some lunch.  Now the fog has gone it is gloriously hot again and we sit outside to eat then go ashore to explore.

Camden is another very pretty town, bigger and more touristy than the ones we have seen so far.  It’s a good job that my flat in the UK is so modern.  If we still lived in our old house I would have spent a fortune here on all the beautiful ‘New England’ type stuff.  I nearly give in and buy some wonderful shells but reckon I can get them cheaper somewhere not quite as touristy.  But we do buy fudge.  Peanut butter fudge for me and chocolate and peanut butter for Mike – so sweet it makes my teeth hurt.

P1100646 P1100647 P1100648 Photos:  Camden

We only stay a couple of hours but it’s long enough to bump into some of Judith and Joe’s friends from the yacht club that we met at the cocktail party on the beach the other day.  What a small world!

We leave Camden and head for Tenants Harbor once more.  I am hoping to sample the delights of the seafood shack if we get there early enough.  However, the weather has other ideas, the wind picking up and the current going against us.  We are approached by the US coast guard in a fast rib who question us about when we arrived and where we are going but they go away happy with our answers.  I don’t think they would appreciate their photo being taken so I take the view instead.  Much safer.

P1100651 Photo:  Another Maine lighthouse (with rather nice house attached!)

It’s late when we finish anchoring (after the second attempt), too late for the restaurant which closes at 8 pm.  We can’t be bothered to cook so snack on cheese and crackers instead then open a packet of beef jerky, I discover I have found another love.  Beef jerky is sort of an equivalent to the biltong I discovered in South Africa.  Dried and seasoned, it is a chewy beef snack.  It’s different to biltong in that it is thicker and even shaped (giving the impression that it’s not quite real) but it tastes good and I love it!  We finish the packet.  Six dollars of beef snack does not last long with Mike and I.

 

Position:  443 4 deg 57 min N, 69 deg 11 min W

Distance so far:  1760 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment