29 April 2011

Virgin Gorda to Tortola, BVI – 29/04/11

We are awake early and preparing to leave for the short trip over to Tortola to deliver Jeannius to her new home at Conch Charters.

I go up to the marina office and buy myself a lovely conch shell then wave goodbye to Crazy Horse as they pull away from the dock heading for Trellis Bay for the night.  A few minutes later we are off ourselves, pulling out of the slip just as Monica and Nick come running to say goodbye moments too late.

We motor out of Leverick Bay passing through the narrow channel between Virgin Gorda and Mosquito Island, Crazy Horse going the other way out because they are so much deeper than us.

Once out of the protection of the island, the wind picks up and we are able to get the genoa out and have a good sail down, the last for a few months.

We get tied up and sitting in the cockpit, it really hits home what we are doing.  Once again we are handing our ‘home” over to someone else.  It’s just like renting your house out to strangers.  I have cursed this particular home regularly over the last couple of years but it’s ours, and mine, and we have spent a lot of money and put a lot of care and attention into her.  She has taken us to some fantastic places and through some horrid, horrid seas but always kept us safe.  Now we are abandoning her again and I feel very, very sad.

However, the World ARC blew our budget and the coffers need filling.  Putting Jeannius back into bareboat is sensible and sometimes I need to accept that the sensible option is the only option so I will grit my teeth, strip her of our personal stuff over the next week, return to the UK and probably moan like crazy when the time comes to go back on her.  The grass is always greener and all that!!!

We spend the afternoon meeting the staff at Conch Charters, showing them around the boat and discussing various features.  The rest of the time is spent with our noses in our computers again before some dinner (prawn curry – it is Friday), comedy TV and bed.  Tomorrow we will be social again as Penny is coming to see us and we have arranged to have dinner with the Crazy Horse gang at the wonderful restaurant in Road Town, The Dove.

 

Our position is:  18 deg 24 min N, 64 deg 36 min W

Distance so far:  25065 nautical miles

3 comments:

  1. Hi U2
    Congratulations on the terrific journey you have both experienced. I will be so happy to see you both soon. You must be the bravest people I know I am so in awe of you both. I hope I see you both soon.

    Your loving sister xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean and Mike, I've been following you since you departed BVI (from a TTOL link). You were one of my few daily "must reads" online. I was always wondering where you were when you were on passage or not updating every day. Thanks for the ride. I don't think we'll do "all the way around" but my husband and I will do a year or two in the Caribbean in a few years when we retire. We've also done 5 charters with Conch, so you're in very good hands. Our last charter was on a Moorings 43 in St. Martin with a few other couples. Maybe we'll get with Conch and plan one for Jeannius!!

    Take care and keep bloggin'!!

    Karen from N.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jean and Mike for sailing around the world. I have a relative who just recently began his solo sailing trip around the world. That is quite a feat!

    ReplyDelete