25 April 2011

Iles des Saintes to Virgin Gorda – 25/04/11

It’s a bumpy old night but we both manage to sleep.  We sail with just the genoa and by the morning the sea has calmed down a lot and the motion of the boat is back to being pleasant.  I find the last hour of my watch quite hard in that I am sleepy and have to lie down with the alarm clock set at 15 minute intervals.  Luckily Mike wakes early and I escape back to bed, waking up just before midday.

We trundle all day with the weather and sea getting progressively worse.  We get absolutely soaked around teatime by a cloud that just opens and tips its contents on us while the sky all around it remains blue.  While we are in the middle of it, it appears that evening has come early as it gets so grey and dark.  It’s an amazing sight when you can see them coming and can’t do anything about it but wait for it to hit.

P1080422P1080417 P1080419 Photos:  The clouds arrive, do their stuff and leave

P1080434 P1080435 Photos:  Our last sunset at sea for some time and more squalls arriving

By early evening there are nasty squalls all around and it’s only a matter of time before a bad one finally gets us.  I am in bed, having been awake for two hours but trying to get to sleep when I hear the sudden roar of the wind and the deluge of rain.  I lie there for a minute trying to ignore it but my conscience gets the better of me and I get up and ask Mike if he needs any help with the sails.  He doesn’t but I hang around for a little while until the squall has passed then go to bed and fall asleep.

 

Our position is:  17 deg 49 min N, 64 deg 10 min W

Distance so far:  25006 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment