15 April 2011

Day 464: Marigot Bay, St Lucia – 15/04/11

I awake with a need for the loo and not wanting to use the heads with the holding tanks on the boat, I take my chance with the early morning mosquitoes and head for the facilities on shore.  Once back on the boat, getting back to sleep after walking up the dock is a non starter, but ever hopeful, I lie there trying until my cup of tea arrives and Mike plonks my laptop next to me on the bed and tells me to get blogging.

The weather has certainly turned for us.  Gone are the grey, laden and overcast skies with their frequent, heavy downpours.  Whilst it’s not a completely clear blue sky, the clouds are very broken and fluffy and white.

I wander around the few shops with Rosemary and find a white halterneck dress – very Marilyn Munroe – and with my hair almost platinum now with all the sun, I can imagine myself fitting the picture until reality sets in and pointedly looking at my chest, the shop assistant announces that they don’t have one in my size.  I obviously need a full length mirror on the boat so that I can stop having these self delusions!

Mike and I go off to one of the local restaurants for lunch.  Having been at the back of the food queue and getting nothing last night, and knowing that tonight’s function is another buffet, I don’t want to go in with a completely empty tummy today although this could end up enforcing the start of the much needed diet.

In the restaurant, we bump into Jutta and Jochem, and a little later Jim joins us but just for a drink.  We have a great lunch but I strictly stick to water to wash it down.  We have two more nights of World ARC functions and I want to remember them both! 

I am just walking out of the restaurant when I notice a sign hanging up on the wall – it makes me laugh as my sister has the exact same one hanging in one of her bathrooms in Norwich.  What a small world and what a true sentiment for me!

P1080189 Photo:  From Norwich to the Caribbean

When we get back to the boat, Moe is just finishing cleaning it.  What a little star as the decks are all bright and shiny now.  I try to nap in the afternoon with Mike but don’t manage it so I offer to go out instead for ice cream which is the first time we have had any since South Africa where we were able to get Magnums. 

Tonight’s function is a formal buffet dinner in the Discovery Hotel at the marina and for once I am ready before Mike.  Bev and Moe rush off as Moe’s parents and friends have arrived in St Lucia today and are meeting up with them at the function.

At the bar I wait ages for a drink as the white wine of choice appears to be Chardonnay and being I fussy bugger I want my Sauvignon Blanc.  Eventually it arrives, as do the other members of our table, Rafat and Gaf (Moe’s mum and dad) along with Kirpal and Katy (his best friend and girlfriend).  They are all so happy to see each other that me makes me wish even more that Victoria had been able to come for the finish as well.  I invite them all onto the boat tomorrow for the ‘Parade of Sail’ from Marigot Bay to Rodney Bay.  Oh, and the food doesn’t run out.

Mike goes off to bed before me and I stay for a while chatting at the table.

P1080191 Photo:  Me and Sophia

P1080192 Photo:  Eline and Matt

Rosemary persuades me to go up to the bar for a nightcap but I only stay for one drink as my bed is calling me too.  On the way back, I slip off my high heels – I nearly caught one of them in the gaps between the wooden planks of the deck and don’t want to do that when walking back alone.  Wandering along the deck, I slow down enough to take stock of the night scene.  There’s chirping from the mangroves around the marina (although thankfully very few mosquitoes as they spray the area once a week).  Apart from that it is silent as I pass all the boats, their dress flags fluttering in the slight breeze.  The stars are out in patches although a few clouds remain.  I can’t believe that tomorrow is the end of the rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment