05 April 2011

Day 454: Mayreau – 05/04/11

Maggie passes by the boat in the morning saying that if Bev and I want to help decorate the church and the restaurant we can go up after 11 am then Matt and Anna turn up a little later and say that they are going too.  In the end I don’t go and just end up having a lazy morning.

Bev and Moe don’t get back to the boat until after 1 pm and have to race around getting ready before we all traipse off together picking Anna up on the way.

The walk up the hill is a killer.  It was bad enough yesterday in the relative cool of the evening.  In the midday sun, it is purgatory and wearing a long dress, I don’t get the normal breezy effect I get when wearing a short one!

P1070692 Photo:  Righteous, one of the bars on the way up the hill

As we slowly stagger, sweating, up the hill, WARC crews are emerging from bars on either side of the road, having enjoyed a cooling beer or two at the half way point.  As we are almost late, we have no such luxury and have to continue past Dennis’ (where we stopped yesterday to get Matt) and up to the church at the top of the hill.  The view behind the Church of the Immaculate Conception is magnificent, stretching over the Tobago Cays in hues of blue and turquoise and the Caribbean Sea.

P1070693 Photo:  View of the Tobago Cays from Mayreau

The church itself is very pretty, built from stone with a pitched wooden roof and stained glass windows. 

P1070750 Photo:  The Church of the Immaculate Conception

Rather than stand any longer in the sun, I manage to drag Mike inside to the shade and watch as the church starts to fill.  Background music is provided by Oisin and a local guy who suddenly turns up and starts randomly playing the drums but not to any particular beat and certainly not in rhythm with Oisin.

P1070696 P1070699 P1070702 P1070705 P1070707 Photos:  The wedding

Father Mark holds a wonderful ceremony and makes it very personal for Annie and Jim.  The church is filled with people smiling and there are quite a few tearful eyes.  Locals wandering in and out and children looking through the open windows, smiling and giggling all add to make this a very special and different occasion.  Afterwards we all go outside to witness the signing of the official certificates. 

P1070713

Photo:  The wedding party

P1070714 Photo:  Rice and bubbles shower the signing of the certificates

P1070720 Photo:  Jutta and Jochem

We all have some champagne then Jim stands up and gives a lovely speech about finding Annie and their journey to today.

IMG_4701 Photo:  Jim gives his speech to Annie

After that the champagne really flows and the photo taking begins in earnest.

IMG_4756 IMG_4765P1070745 P1070733 P1070749 IMG_4719 IMG_4797 Photo:  After the wedding

Once the photos are taken we all walk down the hill again which is much easier than going up it (although some people pause half way to go to a bar) and stop at Dennis’ Hideaway where the wedding reception is being held.  The drinks continue to flow and the nibbles are gorgeous.  Jim and Annie take the floor for the first dance and then there are speeches.  Dennis invites people to come up to say what they want on this occasion.  Matt gets everyone to hold hands in silence for a few minutes and Bev sings a song called ‘Stay with You’.  After thinking for it for a few minutes, I get up and take the microphone and talk about the joy of having found the love of my life 32 years ago, all the time looking at Mike.  Heartfelt stuff indeed.

P1070756 Photo:  Bev sings for Annie and Jim

P1070759 Photo:  Annie prepares to cut the cake

Mindful that there is another social engagement tonight, Jochem’s birthday barbecue, we go down the hill to the anchorage, stopping as we see another opportunity for a photo shoot on the way.

P1070762 P1070765 Photos:  Glamour followed by the giggles

I get changed for the evening as I can’t flap about in a long dress getting in and out of dinghies in one in the dark.  Anna fancies a change too so I lend her a dress.

P1070767 Photo:  Anna and I in matching dresses

It’s dark when we get back to shore and are faced with that bloody hill again but at least it’s cooler.  Dennis’ Hideaway is once again the venue for the party and Jutta and Jochem throw a great celebration.  The drinks are still flowing and the barbecue is delicious.  Not wearing a watch I have no idea of the passing of time just that it is a great occasion leading up to the end of the rally.  Mike gives up before me and head back to the boat and I follow about an hour later. 

What a lovely day it’s been.  I reflect a little on the day and think about the friendships I have forged, sad that some of them live so far away but amazed at what we have all gone through together.  Some people say that something like ‘this little adventure’ can change your life and I am yet to find out whether this has done it to me.  I guess I will find out when I go home and see people’s reaction to me now and my reaction to their lives which were once so similar to mine.  Will I want to scream and run for the open seas again wondering why I was ever homesick?  I’ll find out in just a few weeks. 

1 comment:

  1. some lovely photo's of what seemed like a beautiful day,a fitting end to your adventure.I can't see you settling for an ordinary life just yet !
    I especially loved the headshot of you and Mike and think that should be on your profile .
    As always love you lots
    Johanne xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete