24 July 2010

Day 199: Mackay, Australia – 24/07/10

It’s a bit warmer today and less windy.  I know it is winter here but even so.  The marina staff say it is unusually cold and it only got like this a few days ago.  Typical.

I go back to the mall today, this time with Jutta and Anna.  They have limited time to shop as they have other things to do as well, and when we part company I wander around a bit more, revelling in the civilization of a mall.  Actually, it’s a bit on the rough side here, people-wise.  They are very friendly, but Mackay is a mining town and it shows.  Money but no class.  How snobby am I?

I manage to get the bus back to the marina this time – there’s only one on Saturdays so I make sure I am nice and early for it.

I go looking for Maggie to check out her haircut as I am booked for the same place on Tuesday.  Her hair looks great so I should be fine.  Stephen from A Lady invites us over for a drink later to celebrate Bill’s birthday and also to say goodbye to John, who is leaving in the early hours of Monday morning, to join Carole in Cairns where they are picking up a camper van and going travelling for a while before flying to Sydney then back to Scotland. 

I decide to pay Crazy Horse a visit to give Bill a birthday kiss.  He must be getting used to me now – he doesn’t even go pink!

Just before we go over to A Lady, the heavens open and it absolutely throws it down, and doesn’t look like it is going to stop any time soon.  We could wait all night for it to stop so instead we put our wet weather gear on and head over.  Stephen has invited all the boats that are in and gradually it gets very steamy as more and more wet bodies are squeezed into A Lady’s salon.  Obviously, when the invitations had been issued, it had been presumed that the party would be held on deck.

Aileen produces a wonderful chocolate cake that she made in the afternoon, and Stephen makes sure that the wine keeps flowing, with Bev and I lending a helping hand.

P1020290 Photo:  It’s starting to get crowded

P1020293 Photo:  Me and Bev

P1020295 Photo:  Nick, Bob and I

P1020299 Photo:  Jutta, Mike, me and Jochem

P1020302 Photo:  Maggie, me and Jutta

Eventually people start to drift off for dinner – thankfully it has stopped raining, so my trip back to Jeannius is not a wet one.

No comments:

Post a Comment