04 July 2010

Day 179: Fiji to Vanuatu – 04/07/10

First things first, after breakfast Mike pulls the bed in the starboard stern cabin apart so that he can get to the water pump.  I can’t believe that this thing has been fitted for less than a year.

After practically hanging upside down into the engine compartment, he is able to make a little adjustment which makes it start into life again.  Thank goodness – we can shower and wash up again!

There is absolutely nothing to look at.  Everything outside is either blue or white, but at least the calm conditions mean that Mike can sleep peacefully during the morning, and I can sit at the helm and contemplate my experience of Fiji.

Fiji was not what I expected.  I didn’t have high hopes.  Nothing I had read about it had really inspired me.  The two towns we visited, Lautoka and Nadi were scruffy little places and my experience of being touched up didn’t endear Nadi to me at all.  Port Denarau and Musket Cove, however, were absolutely delightful.  The people here were all friendly and our surroundings were pretty, clean and we had all the facilities we needed.  But we could have been anywhere.  Picked up and transported to Port Denarau I could imagine that I was in a Mediterranean marina and Musket Cove could have been anywhere where they have nice beaches.  But in saying all that, both places were just what we needed to get the boat fixed, provision, shop and relax and charge our batteries before the next leg.  I wish we had had longer to explore the main island itself, Viti Levu, the largest island in the Pacific Ocean, and the Yasawi group of islands which are meant to be beautiful.  Maybe next time.  Next time?  I must have cabin fever!!

Our progress today gets slower and slower as we lose the wind.  Still, the conditions are comfortable and after yesterday, I’m grateful for the opportunity of walking around normally without clinging on.  At 11 pm Mike gives in and turns the engine on.

 

Our position is:  18 deg 28 min S, 173 deg 47 min E

Distance so far:  8929 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment