13 July 2010

Day 188: Efate, Vanuatu – 13/07/10

It’s a cloudy day today which is typical as I was going to do all the towels and sheets ready for the start of our passage tomorrow, so instead I take them to the service laundry and just do our clothes on board as I can hang these smaller things inside the boat to dry in the air conditioning.

Andrew from WCC comes on board to do a questionnaire with us about our experience on the World Arc so far then Matt comes over and we arrange to go into town later this afternoon as he needs to buy some warmer clothes for Australia.

Mike and I walk into town to get a couple of things at the supermarket then go to the back of the fruit and vegetable market where the local food vendors are set up.  We are very conspicuous as we are the only white people there and my blonde hair stands out a mile.  We walk along the rows of vendors not knowing how to choose one as no one seems to advertise what it is they are actually cooking.  Eventually one of the cooks takes the matter out of our hands by inviting us to sit at her table – she offers us fish in curry sauce – we accept.

P1020137 Photo:  Our chef

No sooner have we sat down at her empty table than four local guys sit down and order the same thing.  They introduce themselves, we shake hands and they give Mike a local paper to read while we wait for our lunch.

P1020138 Photo:  A large lunch for about £2.50

We chat to our companions at the table and they explain some of the vegetables we are eating along with our tuna in curry sauce which is really good.

P1020139 Photo:  Our lunch companions

We wander around the market for a while and I buy some fresh vegetables for the passage, but not much as it all has to be eaten before we get to Australia or destroyed.  The market is overflowing with produce and trucks arrive all through the day replenishing the stocks.  This is so different from the market in Tonga.

P1020136 Photo:  Fresh produce abounds here – a wonderful sight

We get back to the boat and a few minutes later Matt arrives to check if it’s OK if Sophia comes with us.  While he goes off in the dinghy to fetch her I go and pick up the laundry.  When I get back, Matt and Sophia are waiting for me at the bar so we have a drink before walking back into town.  Although he is looking for warm clothes, he manages to buy everything but.

In the evening, the Waterfront Restaurant are our hosts for the prize-giving for the last leg.  We were the last but one boat in for that one but as only three catamarans were entered, we could have won third prize for that – except they decide to only offer prizes for first and second place in the multihull class this time.  I’m not upset.  I saw Nick buying the prizes in the morning – I’m not missing out!

P1020144 Photo:  Pre-dinner drinks with Oisean, Matt, Luca and Maggie

P1020145 Photo:  Me and the lads – but what’s up,Oisean?

Not only do the restaurant offer a glass of wine before dinner, but they also provide bottles at the table to accompany the very good three course meal – the best one so far, and no queuing for a change as it is a set menu and served at our table.

P1020154 P1020184 Photos:  Mike gets some attention from Maggie, Bev and Heidi

P1020185 Photo:  Bob looks like he needs some attention too, so I oblige

P1020189 Photo:  Bev and Francois say it with flowers – I wonder what?

P1020191 Photo:  A hug with the lovely Maggie

P1020195 Photo:  Luca, you’re supposed to be enjoying this!

P1020197 Photo:  See, I told you I’d look after JB, Carole!!

P1020199 Photo:  Note to Ed’s wife – this was staged!

P1020201 Photo:  And last, but not least, my cuddle with Paul

The entertainment is excellent too.  A troupe of warrior dancers put on an excellent floorshow.

P1020167 P1020169 P1020172 P1020158 P1020179 Photos:  The local dancers, and lastly with Mo and I

After the performance, a live band comes on and they are excellent.  Mike thinks the lead singer is like a cross between Bob Marley and Ian Dury if you can imagine such a thing.  There’s dancing to be done as the music is so good - I even manage to drag my husband onto the dance floor.

P1020206 P1020207 Photos:  A dance with my husband

Eventually the band finishes and people start to leave.  But the bar is still open and the usual stalwarts and diehards hang behind.  Mike goes off to bed, mindful of our passage start tomorrow, but I am not as sensible although I do start drinking water rather than more wine. 

Matt decides to pay me back for the photo at the waterfall yesterday and scoots under the table, appearing between my legs making it look like I have give birth to a 26 year old.  Ouch.  That would be painful!!

Picture 001 Photo:  Compromising?  You’ll have to do better than that, Matt!

When the bar eventually closes, the kids decide to go to the Voodoo Doll Music Bar and try to talk me into going with them.  I waiver, but we’ve got an early start in the morning and I don’t want to be like Mike was when we left Musket Cove.  I refuse.  Even chants of “Jeannie!  Jeannie!” don’t sway me.  I know my limits.  In a last ditch attempt, Bob and Matt pick me up and carry me in the general direction of the club but let me go (I probably got too heavy for them!) at the last minute.  I hope my restraint pays dividends in the way I feel in the morning.  Next time, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment