15 July 2010

Day 190: Vanuatu to Mackay, Australia – 15/07/10

I go back to bed after my second watch and fall asleep immediately, not waking until nearly mid day.  Our first full day at sea is a pleasant one with comfortable seas and moderate winds.  At some time during the morning (probably when I am asleep) Mike puts the full main sail up.

As usual there is nothing to see.  It doesn’t seem to mater how many hours you spend scanning the horizon, nothing appears.  It’s all just blue and white as far as the eye can see.

I make a beef curry with the blend of masala spices that Stephen gave me.  I am not hopeful about the quality of the meat which has been in the freezer since St Lucia, but eleven minutes in the pressure cooker and it comes out amazingly tender.

Mike sleeps in the afternoon as we settle into our routines.  At least the sea is so calm that we are able to sleep comfortably in our bow cabin again as the boat isn’t crashing around.

However, by the time the first evening watch starts, all that has changed and the boat is pitching around like a bloody cork again.  At  one in the morning I set about making another pressure cooker curry as the previous one was so successful.  This time I use chicken but when I open the packet the smell tells me immediately that it is not as it should be and I heave it over the side quickly before the smell makes me heave over the side too.  Having made the sauce, I now have to wait for a second pack of chicken to defrost.  Cooking in these sea conditions, as I have said before, is not easy.  You end up with your legs spread one one foot jammed in each corner of the galley.  If the galley was any wider I’d be in danger of doing the splits!

 

Our position is:  17 deg 25 min S, 164 deg 18 min E

Distance so far:  9538 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment